2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
stay away from turbos
By dougiej on 02/19/14 05:56 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

ought at 45,000, now have 77,000. have replaced turbo, gas tank, power steering pump, transaxle, rack and pinion on right side, head gasket leak, #3 cylinder coil and spark plug, and now the timing chain kit needs replacing ?

Leave on a high note
By rumbah1 on 11/15/12 10:27 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded my 2005 Legacy GT sedan in which I had bought new in 05. I didn't want to get rid of this car. I loved driving it. SO much fun! However, it was not without problems. Within the time I had it there were many electrical problems. The biggest one was a throttle sensor went. This almost caused some serious accidents until they could figure out what was going on. The seat heaters went out. The power windows went out. The radio display lights went out and also would lock up on me. The power steering fluid had leads and the CV boots cracked. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TSX wagon because I wanted to end our relationship on a high note before dumping more $$ into repairs.

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575 on 12/13/11 09:51 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

Great Car Skip the Automatic
By nlap90 on 06/09/11 21:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the lines and the style of the car, bought mine used with 70,000 miles on it. First few hours i owned it the transmission sensors failed... fine cars have issues sometimes. later on started to notice electrical issues with the lighting dimming on its own or the radio controls not working when you hit the buttons. in the past year , i have replaced the turbo, the ac condensor because it seized and shredded all the belts and tore through the electrical, the transmission had to be rebuilt, and now the wheel bearings are going.... I must have gotten a lemon.... Love the car other than these issues. about to trade it in. Stay away from the turbo Automatics they have major issues!!!

Good car to own and drive
By avkesq on 04/16/11 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When my 1998 Subaru wagon bit the dust (failed transmission) after 168K miles, I decided to buy the new sedan, in late 2004. It now has over 60,000 miles and is still running well. This car provides the best mix of comfort, performance, fuel economy and road grip/stability that I have come across. I travel a lot and have used a number of rental cars (many brand new), but the Subaru beats them all. Highway fuel economy is at 29mpg, provided I keep at or below 65mph. Acceleration is good when I flip to Sports mode, enabling me to join the freeway from the ramp with lots of power to spare, and agility and road grip make me feel safe. Truly fun car to drive for the money, and very safe.

Harsh reviews
By P on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I dont know about the turbo model, but the non-turbo base was 19k out the door. With that considered, any minor defect this ok with me if it get fixed under warranty. Car has been good, great handling, plows through snow and rain and the design is nice. Engine power is pretty weak but at 28 mpg average (with AWD mind you) is a pretty good trade off. Some of the minor issues with mine. Some kick panels in the interior were not assembled correctly and I had to fix them myself, dash rattle, and 2 wheel bearings went bad under warranty. Other than that not a single problem. Shade tree mechanics will find the car easy to work on, brakes, oil, plugs all easy to service.

One of the Best Used Car to Buy
By Wong on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used in 2009. Now has 76,000 miles. Now, 5 years later the car runs just like new sill. The paint isn't the best but every car now has bad paint. There is only one rattle but only comes once in a long time other wise everyday its quiet. Some people complain about wind noise because of frame less window but I don't hear and I know there is no wind noise unless its 30 mph winds but even cars with framed windows will here that. Seats are comfortable for shorter trips. It doesn't have all the new toys that 2010 cars now have but you don't need it. Like back-up camera, gps, mp3, push start etc. If you can drive without the new toys this is a good car to buy with awd standard

Recent reviews have been wonky
By Henry on 06/27/10 04:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's as if other companies are trying to artificially bring down the rating so I felt compelled to give this car a proper review - throughout the last 5 years, it has repeatedly proven itself as a solid, reliable, and fast car at a steal of a price. There is no way around it.

This car is been great!
By Bobo on 06/06/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned this car since I bought it from the show room in 2004, when this new style just came out. I still love my car and its still running strong with almost 90K miles. I haven't had any problem with regular routine maintenance.

5 time owner ultimately disappointed
By Subilove on 04/15/10 17:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Long time Subaru owner- this 05' Legacy GT-bought new, had for 4.5 yrs & sad; by far a let down, poor quality of electronics & mechanically. So far w/ just 60k miles I have replaced CV half shaft, Power steering pump, stereo, ac unit, main window switch, seat belt unit, tires x2, brakes, the lights by the shifter stopped being lit at 20k & now the power steering is going again & its running warm. She has shifted hard coming out of 1st, it feels like I'm being rear-ended =( windshield rattled- dealership fixed. She was well maintained, not ran hard at all. Just a total let down and a reminder never to buy after the release of a new redesign wait a couple years until they get the kinks out.