Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

A Forgotten Gem
By Roger Fluet

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In 2005 Subaru introduced a new body style and terrific turbo 2.5 liter engine. With a combination of high performance and good fuel economy along with leather seating, fine sounding sound system and a few options like a short throw shifter the Subaru Legacy GT is truly a forgotten gem.... Built for fun and built to last!

Stay Away from the dreaded 2.5 liter
By new_audi_drvr

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I got the opportunity to own this silver beauty for much less that blue book from someone I know. I got it at 75k and have driven it over the 200k mark, so Ive experienced the worst miles the car goes through. The good side is; the long highway miles Ive put on the car driving 200 miles a day for 6 months were amazing. I got 35+ MPG , and the car practically drives its self, its so well balanced, precise handling and smooth. It almost gives Audis and lexuses a run for the money in the handling and comfort department, but that's where it ends. The interior was worn thin when I got the car and now its falling apart everywhere; the driver side power window went first, then the glove box wouldn't close, rattles in the dash, the trunk lining is hanging by a thread and the window sills of the doors have been ripped to shreds by my small dogs claws. Maintenance has been absurd; failed Power steering pump, AC compressor, water pump, blown head gasket, loose u joints in the axle, 50k mile valve cover changes, 20k mile tire changes, 20-30K mile spark plug wires changes and poor gass mailage due to the bad 02 sensor. These are all common problems that plague the Subarus boxer engine and especially the 2.5 liter of any model or year, and it all comes down to bad design decisions that compromise reliability and longevity. I was recently forced to curb the car due to a particularly crushingly high repair bill when the head gasket, drive shaft, o2 sensor and water pump all spontaneously died right before inspection was due.

stay away from turbos
By dougiej

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

ought at 45,000, now have 77,000. have replaced turbo, gas tank, power steering pump, transaxle, rack and pinion on right side, head gasket leak, #3 cylinder coil and spark plug, and now the timing chain kit needs replacing ?

very powerful engine with turbo and so, so gas milage. Nice ride on smooth roads, not for back roads at all. Wonderful transmission, no feeling at all when shifting.

Buy only the V6

Leave on a high note
By rumbah1

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded my 2005 Legacy GT sedan in which I had bought new in 05. I didn't want to get rid of this car. I loved driving it. SO much fun! However, it was not without problems. Within the time I had it there were many electrical problems. The biggest one was a throttle sensor went. This almost caused some serious accidents until they could figure out what was going on. The seat heaters went out. The power windows went out. The radio display lights went out and also would lock up on me. The power steering fluid had leads and the CV boots cracked. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TSX wagon because I wanted to end our relationship on a high note before dumping more $$ into repairs.

Driving it was a blast. LOVED it. Can not stress that enough.

Please bring it back Subaru, only improved!

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

Power, 5-speed.

Hopefully the new generation of LGT is reliable.

• SUV