Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

stay away from turbos
By dougiej

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

ought at 45,000, now have 77,000. have replaced turbo, gas tank, power steering pump, transaxle, rack and pinion on right side, head gasket leak, #3 cylinder coil and spark plug, and now the timing chain kit needs replacing ?

Favorite Features

very powerful engine with turbo and so, so gas milage. Nice ride on smooth roads, not for back roads at all. Wonderful transmission, no feeling at all when shifting.

Suggested Improvements

Buy only the V6

Leave on a high note
By rumbah1

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded my 2005 Legacy GT sedan in which I had bought new in 05. I didn't want to get rid of this car. I loved driving it. SO much fun! However, it was not without problems. Within the time I had it there were many electrical problems. The biggest one was a throttle sensor went. This almost caused some serious accidents until they could figure out what was going on. The seat heaters went out. The power windows went out. The radio display lights went out and also would lock up on me. The power steering fluid had leads and the CV boots cracked. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TSX wagon because I wanted to end our relationship on a high note before dumping more $$ into repairs.

Favorite Features

Driving it was a blast. LOVED it. Can not stress that enough.

Suggested Improvements

Please bring it back Subaru, only improved!

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

Favorite Features

Power, 5-speed.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the new generation of LGT is reliable.

Great Car Skip the Automatic
By nlap90

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the lines and the style of the car, bought mine used with 70,000 miles on it. First few hours i owned it the transmission sensors failed... fine cars have issues sometimes. later on started to notice electrical issues with the lighting dimming on its own or the radio controls not working when you hit the buttons. in the past year , i have replaced the turbo, the ac condensor because it seized and shredded all the belts and tore through the electrical, the transmission had to be rebuilt, and now the wheel bearings are going.... I must have gotten a lemon.... Love the car other than these issues. about to trade it in. Stay away from the turbo Automatics they have major issues!!!

Favorite Features

the clean lines of the car, the 250 hp and trq throwing you back in your seat when you gun the engine, and the beautiful black leather interior with silver accents make you feel like your driving a $50,000 dollar car.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down back seat would be nice, get rid of the useless steering wheel shifters and add radio controls. ad some leg room to the rear seat, and a sportier sounding exhaust would be nice improvments

Good car to own and drive
By avkesq

2005 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When my 1998 Subaru wagon bit the dust (failed transmission) after 168K miles, I decided to buy the new sedan, in late 2004. It now has over 60,000 miles and is still running well. This car provides the best mix of comfort, performance, fuel economy and road grip/stability that I have come across. I travel a lot and have used a number of rental cars (many brand new), but the Subaru beats them all. Highway fuel economy is at 29mpg, provided I keep at or below 65mph. Acceleration is good when I flip to Sports mode, enabling me to join the freeway from the ramp with lots of power to spare, and agility and road grip make me feel safe. Truly fun car to drive for the money, and very safe.

Favorite Features

Roag grip and agility, Very smooth ride, yet with firm suspension. Good performnce for a family sedan, and accetably good fuel economy for a AWD. Trouble free from mechanical standpoint. ever had a breakdown.

Suggested Improvements

The fit and finish on this car is not up to Honda standards (my other car is an Odyssey). Small plastic parts seem to pop off and need refixing. Considerable room for improvement in the fit and finish department.