2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
By mikexray on 11/20/11 19:42 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 86000 miles, now has 96000 miles.The cars only issue is a whining noise from the engine that I hear only when it is cold.This noise goes away after about 3-4 min of warm up.I live in Montana where there are serious long distance stretches of open highways and I just love the way this car holds the road it feels almost as if its on rails but still rides comfortable.The 250 hp engine really gives it up when you need it.The manual transmission is such a perfect match to the engine that turbo lag is never an issue.After 4 1/2 months I still love it every time I get behind the wheel.Now winter is here and the car is proving its all weather capabilities in the snow.

Almost perfect
By newyorker on 07/21/07 07:15 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Almost a year and a half and zero problems. Fast and fun. My second subie, my first turbo. This is not your typical wagon, that's for sure. Handles great, even in winter months. The Bridgestone re92 stock tires are all right - nothing great yet decent all around. Rarely have anyone in back seats so cannot comment on leg room. Dash layout is great and good looking. Tons of room. Can put just about anything in this car. The ride can be a little rough for someone with a bad back on longer trips but it's a GT and is supposed to have a stiff suspension so you cannot complain about things like that. All around A++.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon
By DC on 02/20/07 11:25 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Awesome driver's car! Very quick, stable and predictable. Drives like a sports car. Great heater. 100% reliable so far with 20K miles. Excellent in snow, we had 3 feet in one snowfall last week, and with a 400' driveway it has to be good. Be aware that the 17" tires are fairly expensive and if you need extra wheels for snow tires, you will have to get alloys. No steel wheels available as far as I could tell, and I tried locally and on-line. Very comfortable seats. Mine was a program car with 12,000 miles on it when I bought it and now has 20,000 miles on it. No one will regret buying this car. It does everything very well and I know of no weaknesses except rear visibility.

Great car, some nitpicks
By piredon on 10/12/06 08:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the car in March '06. Got the manual GT wagon after hearing complaints about the automatic. Awesome acceleration, balanced handling and quick, accurate steering make the car great on the back roads or on long trips. Holds a ton of stuff, especially with the seats folded flat. Currently 8600 miles on the odometer with 24.6 mpg average so far. Have managed over 28 mpg on long trips. Only problems have been tires with severe flat spots (dealer replaced with no hassle) and slight engine hesitation / stuttering at 2500-3500 rpm under hard acceleration (have read about this problem on the message boards, no fix so far and Subaru claims this is normal).

Subaru built great cars
By Steven de Bouvette on 09/24/06 21:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought the 2.5 GT wagon in April. So far love the car. Fun to drive. Very well designed and built. Gas mileage not the best plus needs premium. Managed to reach 27 mpg on highway. Main annoyance is the remote that is poorly designed and too sensitive. Car locks and unlocks when it is in my pocket. Brakes started vibrating after 50 miles. Subaru fixed them at no charge. Same vibration starting again at 6900 miles.

Good vehicle at the price
By AJ on 07/26/06 12:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned this car for a bit over a year now. Here's the short-attention-span review. - Very good engine performance. - Good handling, although the rear suspension could be firmer. - Good brake feel and feedback, easy to modulate. - Great to have a sport wagon with a manual transmission. - Good, but not great seats. At least they're cloth! (I hate hot/cold, sticky/slippery leather seats). - Awful climate control. With the AC on, it doesn't give you air at one temperature, but pulses alternating HOT and COLD air. - Bad driving position. Lack of a telescoping steering wheel really hurts. - Electronic throttle not ready for prime-time. - 26 mpg hwy, not so hot.

Lemon Legacy GT Wagon?
By jorgeorge on 07/02/06 17:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Recently purchased a new 2005 Legacy GT Wagon mid March of '06, guess it was a holdover from last year. This car has been back to the dealership 5 times, originally for check engine light as well as the cruise light. I also experienced shaking and loss of power each time. June 30, 2006, it went back AGAIN for same problem. I also didn't have the vehicle for approximately 15 days because of a rattle behind the dashboard which turned out to be some kind of 'cracked foam' right behind the firewall. I have as of today sent my 'certified Lemon Law letter' to the company hoping to get them to take back this UNSAFE vehicle. Not sure if I would get a Subaru again. To be continued.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly
By george on 06/23/06 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Picked up this '05 Subaru in March. The good: performance, looks, handling, utility. The bad: gas mileage, low ground clearance, turbo lag or engine revving in automatic. The ugly: For over 2 weeks it was in for a rattle behind dash, which was then entirely removed, and waited for new 'foam' piece. The back for 'check engine light' twice. Have the car back now for 1 week and hope nothing else goes wrong. This is my second Subie because I think I got a good price since last year's model, and was less than the Audi A3 or A4 with awd. Performance is good though gas mileage stinks. And I don't like the way the auto transmission revs then shifts. I find myself using the paddle buttons or sport-shift.

Fun to Drive
By Pete Tannini on 03/28/06 10:45 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I owned a 2002 Subaru Outback and was not satisfied with its slow pick up and faulty clutch. I decided to give the GT a try and have never looked back. It's quick and handles great for a wagon. Love the 17" wheels.

WOW, driving is fun again!
By sanman76 on 12/15/05 15:46 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wow, I have had this car a month now and I love it. It is the best car I have driven. It accelerates, brakes, and rides like a dream. Totally shocked at how nice the car is for the price. What other car can go 0-60 in 5.7 sec with the same build quality, all wheel drive, etc. for under $25k? This car will spank 3 series BMW's. People complain about the tires, but I find them to be decent for what I paid. Yes they wear out quickly, but it is because people who own this car push it to its limits. If you were to drive slowly (which is impossible for me in this car) your tires would last much longer. Overall, highly recommended. Trust me and test drive one!