Used 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

One hot car
By CAinAL

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sub after seeing so many in the mountains of California. I now live in Alabama and I love driving it all year round, but it is definitely a cold weather car! The vents blow warm air so I have to keep the AC on all the time in the spring, summer and fall. The AC has a hard time keeping up with the 100+ degree weather and high humidity. But it handles great in the torrential downpours we get here and I wouldn't trade it.

Favorite Features

Great looks, huge sunroof, lots of room to haul stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Connect the front overhead lights to the door open feature so they will come on with the dome lights.

my subaru
By Pat Wright

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

An enjoyable car, practical and dependable. Insurance on this car new was less than my previous 5 year old Saab.

Favorite Features

Rides very comfortably - nice power.

Suggested Improvements

That darn parking lamp on switch on the top of the steering column. It gets turn on accidentally, I don't notice it and the battery dies.

Lovin' our new Subaru
By Matt

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm really pleased overall with the car. I love the smoothness of the ride, how well it handles, accelerates and brakes. The exterior design is wonderful and the interior is well laid out. Some of the interior panel fit is inconsistent but there are no rattles, squeaks or problems. I also had a great dealer experience and look forward to seeing them just for the routine maintenance.

Favorite Features

We love the trip computer functions and the displays are great. I'm also a huge fan of the manual transmission on the NON-turbo engine (it's truly a great combination) with the limited package of options (only offered on 2005 models now).

Suggested Improvements

Offer two interior choices again (not just the lame taupe), bring back the manual transmission to the 2.5i and GT wagon; as gas prices climb you just might sell more of them. Also I realize that All-Wheel Drive improves safety and handling but offer Traction/Stability Control for emergency situations.

Good Midsize Surf Wagon
By jone

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

OK car. My 1st Subaru. Not as solid/precise as my 1999 Honda Civic or my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Good gas mileage (avg. 24/25 mpg). Good interior, nice looking, car can be modified easily (springs/sway bars/intake/exhaust/shifter). The engine needs more power, Subaru has that is in the works (Forester gets the upgrade in 2006).

Favorite Features

Affordable 5 speed wagon, pleasing interior, Yakima racks fit perfectly on the rails, AWD, sunroof, safety features.

Suggested Improvements

Tires (use Pirelli PZero Nero P225 50R16), radio controls on the steering wheel, a stereo system that actually works well (bad tuner, 2 speakers died already, will have to replace with aftermarket items), more effective fog lamps, better interior bits (net holder popped out, now I can't use nets!).

Excellent value family hauler
By Yatesjo

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

At one month we are very pleased with car after taking it on a couple extended trips. The handling is better than I expected on windy roads-far, far better than the Camry and Accord. Comfort is good, but the climate control acts bizarre and we often end up controlling it manually. The car feels solid and substantial, more like a European than Japanese maker. Cruise control has some strange ticks-jerky when going downhill, full throttle when accelerating. If you want blazing speed, go for the GT, but the base engine is adequate for brisk highway merges. The sunroof is huge and a treat for back seat passengers. Disappointing economy-27mpg is best so far even with all highway driving.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, large sunroof, confident handling, AWD wagon, value!

Suggested Improvements

Refine climate control behavior. Satellite radio option. Traction control without getting top of the line Outback model.