Used 2005 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

stay away from turbos
By dougiej

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

ought at 45,000, now have 77,000. have replaced turbo, gas tank, power steering pump, transaxle, rack and pinion on right side, head gasket leak, #3 cylinder coil and spark plug, and now the timing chain kit needs replacing ?

very powerful engine with turbo and so, so gas milage. Nice ride on smooth roads, not for back roads at all. Wonderful transmission, no feeling at all when shifting.

Buy only the V6

Great Car
By belaircarguy

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great Car! Bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon for my college daughter. 100,000 miles on it, but was well cared for by an adult owner. Interior looks new, and paint is flawless. Turbo engine is powerful and car is fun to drive. Built quality of a Subaru is second to none. Overall, could not be happier. Did know that at this mileage I would need to replace the timing belt/water pump/drive belts and also needs new spark plugs. Cannot complain, as this is normal maintenance items.

Beautiful blue paint, which is still shining and without chips etc. Powerful engine with the turbo. What a hoot to drive? Camaros and Mustangs look out for my Subie wagon at the stop lights!

Being a 2005, the radio does not have bluetooth or a plug for the iPhone / iPod, but I ordered a radio transmitter that is easy to use, allows bluetooth phone calls as well as streams from your iPod or iPhone (songs, Pandora etc). For $40.00 fixed the problem and my daughter is happy (her car for college). Definitely won't be my last Subaru!

Leave on a high note
By rumbah1

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded my 2005 Legacy GT sedan in which I had bought new in 05. I didn't want to get rid of this car. I loved driving it. SO much fun! However, it was not without problems. Within the time I had it there were many electrical problems. The biggest one was a throttle sensor went. This almost caused some serious accidents until they could figure out what was going on. The seat heaters went out. The power windows went out. The radio display lights went out and also would lock up on me. The power steering fluid had leads and the CV boots cracked. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TSX wagon because I wanted to end our relationship on a high note before dumping more $$ into repairs.

Driving it was a blast. LOVED it. Can not stress that enough.

Please bring it back Subaru, only improved!

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

Power, 5-speed.

Hopefully the new generation of LGT is reliable.

2005 Legacy GT wagon
By mikexray

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 86000 miles, now has 96000 miles.The cars only issue is a whining noise from the engine that I hear only when it is cold.This noise goes away after about 3-4 min of warm up.I live in Montana where there are serious long distance stretches of open highways and I just love the way this car holds the road it feels almost as if its on rails but still rides comfortable.The 250 hp engine really gives it up when you need it.The manual transmission is such a perfect match to the engine that turbo lag is never an issue.After 4 1/2 months I still love it every time I get behind the wheel.Now winter is here and the car is proving its all weather capabilities in the snow.

250 hp turbo charged engine,smooth shifting perfectly matched transmission,dual mass flywheel that dampens out clutch chatter,road holding abilities,big brakes for great stopping power,snow and ice capabilities(with dedicated snow tires),comfortable seating.

Needs HID headlights,a more durable coating on the inside door handles,not so sensitive remote(activates while with just the natural pressure of being in a pocket).Don't lose your spare key a replacement from the dealer is $160.