2005 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
stay away from turbos
By dougiej on 02/19/14 05:56 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

ought at 45,000, now have 77,000. have replaced turbo, gas tank, power steering pump, transaxle, rack and pinion on right side, head gasket leak, #3 cylinder coil and spark plug, and now the timing chain kit needs replacing ?

Great Car
By belaircarguy on 02/18/14 16:47 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Great Car! Bought a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon for my college daughter. 100,000 miles on it, but was well cared for by an adult owner. Interior looks new, and paint is flawless. Turbo engine is powerful and car is fun to drive. Built quality of a Subaru is second to none. Overall, could not be happier. Did know that at this mileage I would need to replace the timing belt/water pump/drive belts and also needs new spark plugs. Cannot complain, as this is normal maintenance items.

Leave on a high note
By rumbah1 on 11/15/12 10:27 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I just traded my 2005 Legacy GT sedan in which I had bought new in 05. I didn't want to get rid of this car. I loved driving it. SO much fun! However, it was not without problems. Within the time I had it there were many electrical problems. The biggest one was a throttle sensor went. This almost caused some serious accidents until they could figure out what was going on. The seat heaters went out. The power windows went out. The radio display lights went out and also would lock up on me. The power steering fluid had leads and the CV boots cracked. I traded it in for a 2012 Acura TSX wagon because I wanted to end our relationship on a high note before dumping more $$ into repairs.

Run Far away from this car
By tag4575 on 12/13/11 09:51 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought mine and started out loving it. You will soon regret that thought. Wheel bearings, turbo, clutch, timing belt, interior plastics, all went to hell after only 60k miles. I replaced th tires one time and they lasted a mere 20k miles. Treated this car like a baby, only synthetic, premium gas and drove it carefully. Seems like check engine light was always on, car was in ecellent condition when I god rid of it, traded it on a new acura, I feel bad for whoever buys the piece of junk. My 2001 BMW 740 is supposed to be high matinance, but this car proved that wrong and now I appriciate my BMW way more. Very dissapointed in Subaru, my $57,000 acura is less to insure than this thing too.

2005 Legacy GT wagon
By mikexray on 11/20/11 19:42 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car used with 86000 miles, now has 96000 miles.The cars only issue is a whining noise from the engine that I hear only when it is cold.This noise goes away after about 3-4 min of warm up.I live in Montana where there are serious long distance stretches of open highways and I just love the way this car holds the road it feels almost as if its on rails but still rides comfortable.The 250 hp engine really gives it up when you need it.The manual transmission is such a perfect match to the engine that turbo lag is never an issue.After 4 1/2 months I still love it every time I get behind the wheel.Now winter is here and the car is proving its all weather capabilities in the snow.

05 GT Wagon
By whitehe9 on 06/28/11 10:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the most performance for the $ you can possibly have on 4 wheels. Read the reviews - said about that. However, the 05 model and possibly others has a major problem with turbo failure, which is not the fault of the turbo but a design failure by Subaru. This is fact and other buyers and independent mechanics agree - read forums. This a $3000 repair by the dealer but you can usually find used or aftermarket turbos for $500 and have a mechanic install it but it is likely to fail again without modificaitons to the oil tubing. Bottom line is change your oil often <3000mi and buy a spare turbocharger. Out of 115,000miles, this is my only complaint (failure just outside 60k warranty period)

Great Car Skip the Automatic
By nlap90 on 06/09/11 21:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Love the lines and the style of the car, bought mine used with 70,000 miles on it. First few hours i owned it the transmission sensors failed... fine cars have issues sometimes. later on started to notice electrical issues with the lighting dimming on its own or the radio controls not working when you hit the buttons. in the past year , i have replaced the turbo, the ac condensor because it seized and shredded all the belts and tore through the electrical, the transmission had to be rebuilt, and now the wheel bearings are going.... I must have gotten a lemon.... Love the car other than these issues. about to trade it in. Stay away from the turbo Automatics they have major issues!!!

Good car to own and drive
By avkesq on 04/16/11 07:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

When my 1998 Subaru wagon bit the dust (failed transmission) after 168K miles, I decided to buy the new sedan, in late 2004. It now has over 60,000 miles and is still running well. This car provides the best mix of comfort, performance, fuel economy and road grip/stability that I have come across. I travel a lot and have used a number of rental cars (many brand new), but the Subaru beats them all. Highway fuel economy is at 29mpg, provided I keep at or below 65mph. Acceleration is good when I flip to Sports mode, enabling me to join the freeway from the ramp with lots of power to spare, and agility and road grip make me feel safe. Truly fun car to drive for the money, and very safe.

Good, but not Great
By havertownrider on 02/27/11 17:34 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2008. I negotiated the full warranty for a new car, 6 yrs and 100,000 miles, it expired in in october 2010 and soon after our transmission fluid and oil covers both leaked. Cost $500 to fix. It has been solid, but not what we expected. It is our first subaru and we are hoping to get 150K miles out of it. We bought with 45K and now have 75K. A few other nuiances are breaking down too but nothing major. I hope this last repair shop visit will last.

Harsh reviews
By P on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5i AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I dont know about the turbo model, but the non-turbo base was 19k out the door. With that considered, any minor defect this ok with me if it get fixed under warranty. Car has been good, great handling, plows through snow and rain and the design is nice. Engine power is pretty weak but at 28 mpg average (with AWD mind you) is a pretty good trade off. Some of the minor issues with mine. Some kick panels in the interior were not assembled correctly and I had to fix them myself, dash rattle, and 2 wheel bearings went bad under warranty. Other than that not a single problem. Shade tree mechanics will find the car easy to work on, brakes, oil, plugs all easy to service.