2004 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Definitely won't buy another S

2004 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

L Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Definitely won't buy another Subaru...
By subaru_andrew on

2004 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in April 2004 and have since put approximately 97500 miles on it. Build quality isn't too good; I have experienced engine knock when cold since 20000 miles. Dealer wouldn't touch the issue, saying it's typical for these engines. Cold (under 20 degree F) starts are painful, sometimes requiring 4 or 5 tries before the engine will stay running. I've had the A/C lose charge twice (dealer and independent shop cannot find leak, so it gets charged once a year) and had the clutch bind and squeak. Dealer replaced the clutch, didn't fix the issue, I found a bad slave cylinder. Rear suspension sags at least 1.5" even with nothing in the trunk. But, I haven't been stranded-yet!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission allows the engine to perform well. AWD is excellent in adverse conditions -- provided that you ditch the crappy Bridgestone Potenza RE92 stock tires!

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality, in addition to the issues mentioned above I had several rattles in the interior which were tracked down to improper sunroof installation at the factory. Please do something about the horrible stock tires. Why put AWD on a vehicle when the tires don't allow it to work well?!