2004 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: "Bummer" Should have been reca

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Review

"Bummer" Should have been recalled!
By Woody on

2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

During my 160,000 miles I have had to replace the catalytic converters 3 times and now that inspection is due wouldn’t you know it engine light is on and needs another catalytic converter. Both front windows after 1 year leak air flow sounds like a whistling jet is landing no satisfaction from the dealer or Subaru.

Comfortable seating good road handling. Stereo was good until window seals gave way to the whistling sound.

Fix your Catalytic Converters Cost me over $1200.00 a pop! Every 2 Years
By warp0
on 08/31/14 12:49 PM (PDT)

From what appears clear from internet forums (an my personal experience), the CEL (P0420 code, cat converter efficiency below threshold) tends to go off on these Subarus even when there is not a real problem. Spark plug extenders costing a few bucks in an auto supply store will keep the light off. That's what I did around 100K miles and the light has not come back on. So this makes a lot more sense than changing the cat converter, which really would not be needing replacement so often. The dealer is not necessarily averse to making money selling converters and will replace it as often as you can stomach or you can install the spark plug defouler kit for 5 bucks.