2004 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great driving SUV replacement
By ivankong on 11/21/13 12:23 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 04 legacy 35th anniv wagon with 5spd manual since 2007. I bought it with 33K and it now has 58K miles. I had a Jeep Cherokee before this and it was not a good driving vehicle, nor was it good in the snow (surprisingly). I bought the legacy wagon because I wanted awd and some room in the back like an SUV, but I also know that 95% of the driving I do is on the road and I wanted a car that drives like a sports car. This car does that. I have a separate set of wheels with studded snows for the winter and when I have to drive in really bad conditions (I live in CO) I have no worries at all. Awd with manual trans and studded snows all around are great.

Problems after 55,000 miles
By PeggyR on 11/28/08 14:21 PM (PST)

I also had problems after 50,000 miles and just want to get rid of it. I also owned a 1995 Subaru before and it never gave me any troubles. My head gasket is cracked, have had transmission problems almost immediately and their is always something wrong with this car. It is sad because I used to trust Subaru as a quality car. It costs almost as much as a BMW to repair, so why not quality.

Not happy
By dswiss on 09/09/07 15:51 PM (PDT)

Technically not a lemon, but awfully close to one! In 80,000 miles I've had a transmission replaced, three catalytic converters, three oxygen sensors, numerous cruise control problems, burning oil smell, creaking windows, etc. Finally got rid of it and found out that the trade-in value is next to nothing. But at least I am happy now!

A car to love!
By Edwardo on 08/29/07 06:36 AM (PDT)

After owning a 98 Legacy, my wife and I wouldn't settle for anything other than another Subaru wagon. We're roadtrippers and campers and when we're not mapping new territories, we love the sense of safety and very smooth ride of our 35th Anniversary Legacy (2004), with the double sunroof and fully reclinable seats being just as sweet in the city as it is useful in the sticks.

04 legacy anniversary edition.
By L.Nork on 05/19/07 07:18 AM (PDT)

Some fit and finish problems notably the weather stripping coming loose. Also had to replace sunroof because of wind noise, all done by dealer with no hassle. Otherwise very dependable. Only expense has been gas, tires and brakes. No repairs.

All around great car
By 35th Legacy Auto on 04/24/07 16:52 PM (PDT)

This is an all around wonderful vehicle. Everyday performance is good but in rain or snow, good quickly changes to great. Nothing I've ever driven has compared to this car. I can't see any reason why I wouldn't buy Subaru in the future.

'04 falling apart
By jimflys on 09/21/06 06:35 AM (PDT)

I've had nothing but trouble with my '04 Outback once it hit 50,000 miles. I will never buy one again and I've owned two others.

Excellent Auto
By Lola on 12/15/04 18:10 PM (PST)

Reminds me of my last (1969) Subaru which lasted for 170,000 miles but is more comfortable.

legacy 35th manual wagon
By frog on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

counter the counterspin- The power on this car, especially low down and especially in the 5-speed, is terrific. I am more than happy with the engines response, from in town to highway trips, and I like to keep the SPORT in driving. The handleing on these cars is telepathic. They grip from all four corners, stay flat and remain predictable. The braking gets some complaints, but I hve seen no issues in the first 6K. Interior is handsome, seats fit well after break- in, I recommend lifting them slightly up off their lower setting, and tilting the seat relatively far back to give it a more roomy feel.

Subaru once, Subaru always.......
By artquiltsbymeiny on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

We used to own a 1992 Subary Loyale wagon which was recently totalled in a crash. The driver and passengers survived thanks to the sturdy Subaru body. The car is very quiet, with a very smooth ride, excellent aircondition and I love the showing of the direction the car is heading. The main reason for buying another Subaru though is our great experience with the service personal at the dealership; no haggling over repairs, mostly scheduled service appointments.