2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Best car for the money
By Froggie on 06/15/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I have over 121,000 miles on it now and still not a rattle or squeak. Runs and looks like new. This is my third Subaru, all very reliable. I have had only 2 out of pocket repairs. The head gaskets were replaced at 80,000 miles and new struts at 116,000 miles. Gas mileage is OK at 22-23 Mpg in town and 27-30 Mpg on the highway.

Love my Subie!
By JC on 04/16/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

Bought it used with 25k on it. Currently have 110k. Have not had any problems. Goes thru a lot of tires but I guess that's the AWD. Would like a few more horses under the hood but the 5 spd and the tight handling do make it a fun drive. Great in the snow. I'd buy another one but don't want to give this up!

Definitely won't buy another Subaru...
By subaru_andrew on 12/26/08 13:19 PM (PST)

I purchased this car new in April 2004 and have since put approximately 97500 miles on it. Build quality isn't too good; I have experienced engine knock when cold since 20000 miles. Dealer wouldn't touch the issue, saying it's typical for these engines. Cold (under 20 degree F) starts are painful, sometimes requiring 4 or 5 tries before the engine will stay running. I've had the A/C lose charge twice (dealer and independent shop cannot find leak, so it gets charged once a year) and had the clutch bind and squeak. Dealer replaced the clutch, didn't fix the issue, I found a bad slave cylinder. Rear suspension sags at least 1.5" even with nothing in the trunk. But, I haven't been stranded-yet!

Safe, Dependable and fun
By Froggy on 07/27/08 15:25 PM (PDT)

I agree with the others that the auto trans could be better.A 5 or 6 speed would improve economy (I get 25 overall) and acceleration. Reliability wise, I have over 90,000 on it and I have had only one out of pocket repair. It is still tight as a drum. My friends Honda's and Toyotas have been more problematic, in fact they all love my subie. I think many people just don't give Subaru a look before going to Honda or Toyota. This is my third Subaru and I don't see where the others are any more reliable or better made.

toms car
By tom morris on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

car is very reliable, but it doesn't have very much pick up. great family car comes with a lot of options stock. great wood grain interior

Manual Sedan
By mjc440 on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

This Legacy has a great ride, almost perfect steering, and is practically unstoppable in the snow. The negatives are inferior interior materials (compared to Honda and Toyata) and an engine with not a lot of power (although it performs well for a four cylinder). My biggest complaint is that the 5 speed manual is geared too low for normal highway driving. The engine screams at 3,000 RPMS at 70 MPH (and everyone blows past you). It really needs another gear. Also the manual transmission is sometimes hard to put into first gear. Shifting feels like you're shifting through gravel. Cloth seats are also uncomfortable.

MAD-MAN'S FACTS
By chad medeiros on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

A bit SLOW & Sluggest at 1st. but opened up FINALLY after 14000. So drive it like you stole it so it can open up for you!!!!!

Great Car
By Ryan Reynolds on 11/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

How to put it in words? I needed to find a car for my wife that would be great in the Snow, sporty, and comfortable, and around $20,000. And I found it, This car is so much fun to drive. I looked around for about 8 months before buying, I looked at Dodge, Ford, and Honda, But no one made an All-Wheel Drive that compared. I purchased the 35th anniversary edition which came with power windows and lokcks, Sun roof, A/C, AWD, CD player. Everything I wanted and more. Any douts, Look at Consumer Reports reviews A+.

I hope this one lasts like the First
By W Heller on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall this car is a blast to drive, and stays flat in the curves. My only complaint is the little lack of power produced by the engine. Other than that it has a very strong build.