2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
"Bummer" Should have been recalled!
By Woody on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

During my 160,000 miles I have had to replace the catalytic converters 3 times and now that inspection is due wouldnÂ’t you know it engine light is on and needs another catalytic converter. Both front windows after 1 year leak air flow sounds like a whistling jet is landing no satisfaction from the dealer or Subaru.

Best car for the money
By Froggie on 06/15/10 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I have over 121,000 miles on it now and still not a rattle or squeak. Runs and looks like new. This is my third Subaru, all very reliable. I have had only 2 out of pocket repairs. The head gaskets were replaced at 80,000 miles and new struts at 116,000 miles. Gas mileage is OK at 22-23 Mpg in town and 27-30 Mpg on the highway.

Love my Subie!
By JC on 04/16/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

Bought it used with 25k on it. Currently have 110k. Have not had any problems. Goes thru a lot of tires but I guess that's the AWD. Would like a few more horses under the hood but the 5 spd and the tight handling do make it a fun drive. Great in the snow. I'd buy another one but don't want to give this up!

Definitely won't buy another Subaru...
By subaru_andrew on 12/26/08 13:19 PM (PST)

I purchased this car new in April 2004 and have since put approximately 97500 miles on it. Build quality isn't too good; I have experienced engine knock when cold since 20000 miles. Dealer wouldn't touch the issue, saying it's typical for these engines. Cold (under 20 degree F) starts are painful, sometimes requiring 4 or 5 tries before the engine will stay running. I've had the A/C lose charge twice (dealer and independent shop cannot find leak, so it gets charged once a year) and had the clutch bind and squeak. Dealer replaced the clutch, didn't fix the issue, I found a bad slave cylinder. Rear suspension sags at least 1.5" even with nothing in the trunk. But, I haven't been stranded-yet!

Safe, Dependable and fun
By Froggy on 07/27/08 15:25 PM (PDT)

I agree with the others that the auto trans could be better.A 5 or 6 speed would improve economy (I get 25 overall) and acceleration. Reliability wise, I have over 90,000 on it and I have had only one out of pocket repair. It is still tight as a drum. My friends Honda's and Toyotas have been more problematic, in fact they all love my subie. I think many people just don't give Subaru a look before going to Honda or Toyota. This is my third Subaru and I don't see where the others are any more reliable or better made.

Subaru Me - Once More
By Jon on 12/04/04 23:53 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I drive 80 mi a day to the City (elev. 4500 ft) from a a peaceful mountain valley (elev. 6500 ft). Have been doing so for 11 years in my '93 Legacy L AWD Sedan. It now has 290,000 miles and still going strong! I have since retired it to the teenager daughter. Enter my new Subaru. Looking forward to another 10+ years of confident all- weather driving without guzzling gas. Whole family loves Subaru's. Dad, Mom and both brothers own one. And now I own two!

Best ride & handling combo
By travis j on 10/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I leased a 2000 Legacy GT ( 5 speed ) for four years. All wheel drive with the rear differential proved quite fun when powering out of corners. But that brings up the week point of this car. Not enough power to go with the great suppension tuning and bank vault structual rigidity. Best combination of ride and handling of any car I've driven. Quiet interior and very comfortable seats.

Fun, reliable, how good?
By NoahB123 on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I'm 18, and the legacy is the first car I've ever owned, but most definitely not the first that I've driven. For the price, the legacy is definitely one of the best automobiles out there. Even with just standard features, it's a nice, comfortable car. I got the leather, the XSi package(looks), and the premium sound system...all worth it. The sound system is unreal, the leather is sleek and comfortable, and the XSi package gives it an edge to the standard back of a subaru. Driving the car is fun, but acceleration is just a little bit slow, although I am used to driving a 2000 maxima(about 200hp).

toms car
By tom morris on 04/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

car is very reliable, but it doesn't have very much pick up. great family car comes with a lot of options stock. great wood grain interior

MY 2003 SUBARU LEGACY SE
By Tigressrich on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I have enjoyed the ride from the initial test drive.This car is excellent in the snow and you can actually feel the car adjusting to the snowy roads.I recommend this car to anyone that is looking for a sturdy car and one that is not stolen often,as is the Honda Civic and the Nissan Maxima.