Used 2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2015 update on last report
By froggie

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had reported on my 2004 legacy at 120,000 miles and said it was a great car. Now after 211,000 miles, I have to say that this is best car I have owned in over 53 years of driving. I just traded it in on a new 2015 legacy and the dealer couldn't believe how great it looked. It still did not have a squeak or rattle and the paint still shined as new. It broke my heart to part with it, but time marches on.

"Bummer" Should have been recalled!
By Woody

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

During my 160,000 miles I have had to replace the catalytic converters 3 times and now that inspection is due wouldn’t you know it engine light is on and needs another catalytic converter. Both front windows after 1 year leak air flow sounds like a whistling jet is landing no satisfaction from the dealer or Subaru.

Comfortable seating good road handling. Stereo was good until window seals gave way to the whistling sound.

Fix your Catalytic Converters Cost me over $1200.00 a pop! Every 2 Years

Best car for the money
By Froggie

2004 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I have over 121,000 miles on it now and still not a rattle or squeak. Runs and looks like new. This is my third Subaru, all very reliable. I have had only 2 out of pocket repairs. The head gaskets were replaced at 80,000 miles and new struts at 116,000 miles. Gas mileage is OK at 22-23 Mpg in town and 27-30 Mpg on the highway.

AWD, great sound system, workmanship.

More power, a 5 or 6 speed auto transmission.

Love my Subie!
By JC

Bought it used with 25k on it. Currently have 110k. Have not had any problems. Goes thru a lot of tires but I guess that's the AWD. Would like a few more horses under the hood but the 5 spd and the tight handling do make it a fun drive. Great in the snow. I'd buy another one but don't want to give this up!

Sun roof, fit and finish solid. Reliability especially in the cold, snowy weather. Smooth 5spd shifter.

A more powerful engine would make it just about perfect.

Definitely won't buy another Subaru...
By subaru_andrew

I purchased this car new in April 2004 and have since put approximately 97500 miles on it. Build quality isn't too good; I have experienced engine knock when cold since 20000 miles. Dealer wouldn't touch the issue, saying it's typical for these engines. Cold (under 20 degree F) starts are painful, sometimes requiring 4 or 5 tries before the engine will stay running. I've had the A/C lose charge twice (dealer and independent shop cannot find leak, so it gets charged once a year) and had the clutch bind and squeak. Dealer replaced the clutch, didn't fix the issue, I found a bad slave cylinder. Rear suspension sags at least 1.5" even with nothing in the trunk. But, I haven't been stranded-yet!

Manual transmission allows the engine to perform well. AWD is excellent in adverse conditions -- provided that you ditch the crappy Bridgestone Potenza RE92 stock tires!

Improve build quality, in addition to the issues mentioned above I had several rattles in the interior which were tracked down to improper sunroof installation at the factory. Please do something about the horrible stock tires. Why put AWD on a vehicle when the tires don't allow it to work well?!