Used 2004 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2015 update on last report
By froggie

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had reported on my 2004 legacy at 120,000 miles and said it was a great car. Now after 211,000 miles, I have to say that this is best car I have owned in over 53 years of driving. I just traded it in on a new 2015 legacy and the dealer couldn't believe how great it looked. It still did not have a squeak or rattle and the paint still shined as new. It broke my heart to part with it, but time marches on.

Great driving SUV replacement
By ivankong

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 04 legacy 35th anniv wagon with 5spd manual since 2007. I bought it with 33K and it now has 58K miles. I had a Jeep Cherokee before this and it was not a good driving vehicle, nor was it good in the snow (surprisingly). I bought the legacy wagon because I wanted awd and some room in the back like an SUV, but I also know that 95% of the driving I do is on the road and I wanted a car that drives like a sports car. This car does that. I have a separate set of wheels with studded snows for the winter and when I have to drive in really bad conditions (I live in CO) I have no worries at all. Awd with manual trans and studded snows all around are great.

Good handling, cloth seats, good utility with a wagon, feel safe and in control in the worst weather and driving conditions. I like the looks of the legacy as opposed to the outback. I don't like all the body cladding and other crap on the outback.

More power, better gas mileage (but really it's not too bad). It's kind of noisy at speed, make it quieter. Make the front sunroof slide open and not just pop up.

"Bummer" Should have been recalled!
By Woody

2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

During my 160,000 miles I have had to replace the catalytic converters 3 times and now that inspection is due wouldn’t you know it engine light is on and needs another catalytic converter. Both front windows after 1 year leak air flow sounds like a whistling jet is landing no satisfaction from the dealer or Subaru.

Comfortable seating good road handling. Stereo was good until window seals gave way to the whistling sound.

Fix your Catalytic Converters Cost me over $1200.00 a pop! Every 2 Years

Best car for the money
By Froggie

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I have over 121,000 miles on it now and still not a rattle or squeak. Runs and looks like new. This is my third Subaru, all very reliable. I have had only 2 out of pocket repairs. The head gaskets were replaced at 80,000 miles and new struts at 116,000 miles. Gas mileage is OK at 22-23 Mpg in town and 27-30 Mpg on the highway.

AWD, great sound system, workmanship.

More power, a 5 or 6 speed auto transmission.

Love my Subie!
By JC

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used with 25k on it. Currently have 110k. Have not had any problems. Goes thru a lot of tires but I guess that's the AWD. Would like a few more horses under the hood but the 5 spd and the tight handling do make it a fun drive. Great in the snow. I'd buy another one but don't want to give this up!

Sun roof, fit and finish solid. Reliability especially in the cold, snowy weather. Smooth 5spd shifter.

A more powerful engine would make it just about perfect.