2004 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

2004 Legacy Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great driving SUV replacement
By ivankong

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my 04 legacy 35th anniv wagon with 5spd manual since 2007. I bought it with 33K and it now has 58K miles. I had a Jeep Cherokee before this and it was not a good driving vehicle, nor was it good in the snow (surprisingly). I bought the legacy wagon because I wanted awd and some room in the back like an SUV, but I also know that 95% of the driving I do is on the road and I wanted a car that drives like a sports car. This car does that. I have a separate set of wheels with studded snows for the winter and when I have to drive in really bad conditions (I live in CO) I have no worries at all. Awd with manual trans and studded snows all around are great.

Favorite Features

Good handling, cloth seats, good utility with a wagon, feel safe and in control in the worst weather and driving conditions. I like the looks of the legacy as opposed to the outback. I don't like all the body cladding and other crap on the outback.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better gas mileage (but really it's not too bad). It's kind of noisy at speed, make it quieter. Make the front sunroof slide open and not just pop up.

"Bummer" Should have been recalled!
By Woody

2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

During my 160,000 miles I have had to replace the catalytic converters 3 times and now that inspection is due wouldn’t you know it engine light is on and needs another catalytic converter. Both front windows after 1 year leak air flow sounds like a whistling jet is landing no satisfaction from the dealer or Subaru.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating good road handling. Stereo was good until window seals gave way to the whistling sound.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your Catalytic Converters Cost me over $1200.00 a pop! Every 2 Years

Best car for the money
By Froggie

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I have over 121,000 miles on it now and still not a rattle or squeak. Runs and looks like new. This is my third Subaru, all very reliable. I have had only 2 out of pocket repairs. The head gaskets were replaced at 80,000 miles and new struts at 116,000 miles. Gas mileage is OK at 22-23 Mpg in town and 27-30 Mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

AWD, great sound system, workmanship.

Suggested Improvements

More power, a 5 or 6 speed auto transmission.

Love my Subie!
By JC

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used with 25k on it. Currently have 110k. Have not had any problems. Goes thru a lot of tires but I guess that's the AWD. Would like a few more horses under the hood but the 5 spd and the tight handling do make it a fun drive. Great in the snow. I'd buy another one but don't want to give this up!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, fit and finish solid. Reliability especially in the cold, snowy weather. Smooth 5spd shifter.

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful engine would make it just about perfect.

Definitely won't buy another Subaru...
By subaru_andrew

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in April 2004 and have since put approximately 97500 miles on it. Build quality isn't too good; I have experienced engine knock when cold since 20000 miles. Dealer wouldn't touch the issue, saying it's typical for these engines. Cold (under 20 degree F) starts are painful, sometimes requiring 4 or 5 tries before the engine will stay running. I've had the A/C lose charge twice (dealer and independent shop cannot find leak, so it gets charged once a year) and had the clutch bind and squeak. Dealer replaced the clutch, didn't fix the issue, I found a bad slave cylinder. Rear suspension sags at least 1.5" even with nothing in the trunk. But, I haven't been stranded-yet!

Favorite Features

Manual transmission allows the engine to perform well. AWD is excellent in adverse conditions -- provided that you ditch the crappy Bridgestone Potenza RE92 stock tires!

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality, in addition to the issues mentioned above I had several rattles in the interior which were tracked down to improper sunroof installation at the factory. Please do something about the horrible stock tires. Why put AWD on a vehicle when the tires don't allow it to work well?!

Problems after 55,000 miles
By PeggyR

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I also had problems after 50,000 miles and just want to get rid of it. I also owned a 1995 Subaru before and it never gave me any troubles. My head gasket is cracked, have had transmission problems almost immediately and their is always something wrong with this car. It is sad because I used to trust Subaru as a quality car. It costs almost as much as a BMW to repair, so why not quality.

Suggested Improvements

The engine, the exterior

Safe, Dependable and fun
By Froggy

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I agree with the others that the auto trans could be better.A 5 or 6 speed would improve economy (I get 25 overall) and acceleration. Reliability wise, I have over 90,000 on it and I have had only one out of pocket repair. It is still tight as a drum. My friends Honda's and Toyotas have been more problematic, in fact they all love my subie. I think many people just don't give Subaru a look before going to Honda or Toyota. This is my third Subaru and I don't see where the others are any more reliable or better made.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, build quality and the safe secure feeling that I get driving it. It's like driving a tank.

Suggested Improvements

A 5 or 6 speed automatic transmission. More power in the 4 cyl engine.

Not happy
By dswiss

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Technically not a lemon, but awfully close to one! In 80,000 miles I've had a transmission replaced, three catalytic converters, three oxygen sensors, numerous cruise control problems, burning oil smell, creaking windows, etc. Finally got rid of it and found out that the trade-in value is next to nothing. But at least I am happy now!

Favorite Features

Excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the emission control problems. Don't just keep replacing parts - fix the causes!

A car to love!
By Edwardo

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a 98 Legacy, my wife and I wouldn't settle for anything other than another Subaru wagon. We're roadtrippers and campers and when we're not mapping new territories, we love the sense of safety and very smooth ride of our 35th Anniversary Legacy (2004), with the double sunroof and fully reclinable seats being just as sweet in the city as it is useful in the sticks.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, double sunroof (the rear being fully retractable), automatic everything with cruise control, substantial couchy seats (the back seat in not thin and flimsy), good control and power for a 4-cyl, solid stable drive, and keeps its sturdiness at high speed.

Suggested Improvements

In subsequent models/years, I hear the lack in power has been address with more hp and less weight, but the 2004 still has a noticable gap in desired power if you're used to shuttle launches.

04 legacy anniversary edition.
By L.Nork

2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Some fit and finish problems notably the weather stripping coming loose. Also had to replace sunroof because of wind noise, all done by dealer with no hassle. Otherwise very dependable. Only expense has been gas, tires and brakes. No repairs.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Bigger cabin. More HP