Update
By ajluptak on
2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)
This is an update to an earlier posting. After 32k miles, the Subie feels much older. Mileage, at 17 mpg city, is still awful for a 4 cylinder, 165hp car. Once again, my wife is primary driver and she is not hard on the car. Car responds very sluggishly to throttle input, almost dangerously so. This car has had all required service done to date. I have taken the car to three Subaru dealers, all of them say the car runs normally. Maybe we got a bad car or one with some issues, but it has soured me toward Subarus. Once again, if you can find a 5 speed manual car, buy it over the automatic.
Favorite Features
After some small problems, reliability has been good, AWD is still impeccable in bad weather, car rides nicely, road noise is acceptable, and the car handles nicely. If you are looking to buy, resale values are quite good.
Suggested Improvements
I believe many issues have been addressed by the new car ('05 and up). On our dark blue car (and other dark Subies) I noticed the paint scratches and swirls easily. Seats are a bit lacking, they need more bolstering.