Amazing until 100k
By _herzog on
2003 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
I loved this car and would purchase another, because Subaru's are safe and handle amazing. Worse luck though, I had a blown head gasket at just over 100k and that was the beginning of all sorts of engine problems, resulting in eventual engine replacement; and this, despite faithful maintenance from the dealer since I purchased it at 14k.
Favorite Features
The braking system is amazing in this car. I'm convinced it prevented at least one major accident. The AWD handling is equally amazing and helpful to me, as I often drive in icy, snow conditions when I snowboard--never had to chain up.
Suggested Improvements
First, the shotgun seat has less leg room for some reason, causing complaints by my tall friends. Second, the stereo went out, and I couldn't find a way to replace it with an aftermarket stereo, since the whole console is connected; I wound up replacing it for over $600. Lastly, and most important, build the engine so that head gasket repair is not imminent, or stand by your maintenance plan if it does happen--I had it maintained at over $1,000 a pop, just to have engine problems down the road.