Used 2003 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Supple Subaru
By dborsheim

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

There is no harshness in the ride of this smallish car. The seats are great. My arthritic 57 year old back feels fine even after all day trips. I had looked at Accord, Camry, A4, etc before buying the SE and I like its distinctive appearance. Fit and finish are excellent, handling is fun and predictable, but the overall suppleness of its ride has really impressed me.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and predictable handling would be my favorite features. A widower since May, my new lady friend thinks it is "me", so I guess that's OK.

Suggested Improvements

I'm over 6' tall so I'd like a telescoping wheel, and though I find 165 hp OK for me, about 20 more would be nice.

My fourth Subaru
By Vince Toman

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't had this particular car long but it is my 4th Subaru and I know what to expect. So far, this vehicle has met all of my expectations of fit and finish and overall performance. I expect the winter driving experience to meet all of my expectations as well. I picked this car up on Tuesday and drove it 1200 miles to Ohio without a mechanical problem. There was some wind noise at speeds around 45 mph that I didn't expect and when I returned, I mentioned this to the dealer and they were able to correct that by adjusting the glass track and replacing a mirror gusset (?). It now has the quiet ride I anticipated.

Favorite Features

The fit and finish overall. The solid feel of the vehicle. The "ride" is what I'd expect from a car of this type - smooth and relatively quiet.

Suggested Improvements

The gas milage is a drawback. If Subaru could push this over 30 mpg, they wouldn't be able to make enough of them. I also think they should make the intermittent wipers adjustable (on all models), instead of one speed.

SUPER VALUE & FUN, TOO
By LADriver

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Here in L.A., this car is uncommon, and that's a nice thing. GREAT handling on city streets & canyon roads, smooth and solid ride, quiet and comfortable in most situations. There's none of the vibration when idling you often feel in 4 cylinder cars. AWD gives it a heavy, solid feel. If you like the feel of AWD, don't miss out on Subaru. The '05 Legacy design is one to watch for!

Favorite Features

AWD feel, love the SE edition alloys, fog lights, suspension

Suggested Improvements

Add remote trunk opener to key fob, trunk net in sedan, 60/40 fold-down rear seat, lumbar support for driver, & conceal coin holders in console.

Best Wagon for the $
By Richardson

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After test driving both the Passat and Volvo V70 series wagons we weren't totally satisfied. Then we decided to give Subaru a try. First we drove a base model Outback & liked the look but not all the features. Then the sales person showed us the 2.5 GT Legacy wagon. We kept the car over night and really tested it out. The handling is superb, sound system rocks! Seats are comfortable with plenty of room to spare. We were a bit worried that the 4 cyl. engine wouldn't be enough power, but it's fine for most driving and it's quieter.

Favorite Features

Stereo, storage capacity, AWD, gas milage! Sport Shift is fun to play with.

Suggested Improvements

If Subaru added a spoiler & splash guards to GT model for improved look & this car would be hard to beat!

Wagon
By EMIL TOLEDO

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced a Passat and found the subaru less powerful and providing less gas milage than the Passat.The pluses are the all drive and the fa.ct that it runs on low test gas.The superior reliability and better braking are also plusses so on balance I like it better than the Passat.

Favorite Features

ALL DRIVE SYSTEM.WORKS WITH LOW TEST GAS.Good frequence of repair record.

Suggested Improvements

Poorer acceleration than a Passat despite having the slightly higher HP (165 vs 160) and 10% lower gas milage than the Passat.No full sized tire spare.