2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
OK But Doesn't
By lukewarm on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We went the Suba-route once the repairs on our '90 Volvo 240DL wagon became prohibitive. Many if not most of our friends drive Subaru wagons (mainly outbacks) and LOVE them. Unfortunately, I don't. The Legacy is quite a low rider, and the interior design seems to hinder visibility and is a bit cramped. I'm not that tall (5'8") and I find the driver's seat a bit snug. The interior styling could be a touch more sophisticated at this price point. But on a positive note, it handles wonderfully in poor weather.

Great Car Often Overlooked
By SensibleDriver on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I have always owned new Subaru's since my first Legacy in 1991. It was a L+ edition that was $18k. I drove it thru college and 140k miles. I then purchased an 96 Outback. In Oct.2003 I purchased this L Sped Ed Wagon, one of two 2003's left on the lot. I have been pleased with it! Got it for $19,500! Not much more than my first in 1991, but with many more features. Love the dual sunroofs. Goes in the snow like a tank!

One Great Car!!
By Princessssct on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this brand new 2003 Legacy L Special Edition Sedan this past summer (I could not stomach one more repair on my Jetta). My search lead me to Subaru, I remember my dad had a subaru (banana yellow) wagon when i was kid and here in New England living on a hilltop we need the AWD and he always mention how good that car was! Dad was right, Subaru and my new CAR ROCK! It's fun to drive an unbeatable value compared to other 4 door sedans out there.I got the special edition which came loaded with all the accessories you could want CD, sunroof, alloy wheels, leather wrapped wheel and shifter and fog lights.

2003 Subaru Legacy
By RJDouglas on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the mother of three boys and I also work full time. I live in a rural area where the roads can be very hard to drive on in snowy or rainy conditions. This car has yet to fail me. It goes in the snow or rain like a dream. It is the dependable family car, but also is very nice in apperance. It comes with two moon roofs and a very nice CD player-stereo system. It is very comfortable to ride in on long trips and gets excellent gas mileage, especially on the highway. Also, being the parent of three kids, I needed something affordable and I found all of what I needed with the Subaru Legacy. I love this car!

New Subaru
By MC98 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Seems to be a great car, have 950 miles on it so far. Hope as good as previous Subaru's.

Supple Subaru
By dborsheim on 11/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

There is no harshness in the ride of this smallish car. The seats are great. My arthritic 57 year old back feels fine even after all day trips. I had looked at Accord, Camry, A4, etc before buying the SE and I like its distinctive appearance. Fit and finish are excellent, handling is fun and predictable, but the overall suppleness of its ride has really impressed me.

My fourth Subaru
By Vince Toman on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't had this particular car long but it is my 4th Subaru and I know what to expect. So far, this vehicle has met all of my expectations of fit and finish and overall performance. I expect the winter driving experience to meet all of my expectations as well. I picked this car up on Tuesday and drove it 1200 miles to Ohio without a mechanical problem. There was some wind noise at speeds around 45 mph that I didn't expect and when I returned, I mentioned this to the dealer and they were able to correct that by adjusting the glass track and replacing a mirror gusset (?). It now has the quiet ride I anticipated.

SUPER VALUE & FUN, TOO
By LADriver on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Here in L.A., this car is uncommon, and that's a nice thing. GREAT handling on city streets & canyon roads, smooth and solid ride, quiet and comfortable in most situations. There's none of the vibration when idling you often feel in 4 cylinder cars. AWD gives it a heavy, solid feel. If you like the feel of AWD, don't miss out on Subaru. The '05 Legacy design is one to watch for!

Best Wagon for the $
By Richardson on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After test driving both the Passat and Volvo V70 series wagons we weren't totally satisfied. Then we decided to give Subaru a try. First we drove a base model Outback & liked the look but not all the features. Then the sales person showed us the 2.5 GT Legacy wagon. We kept the car over night and really tested it out. The handling is superb, sound system rocks! Seats are comfortable with plenty of room to spare. We were a bit worried that the 4 cyl. engine wouldn't be enough power, but it's fine for most driving and it's quieter.

Wagon
By EMIL TOLEDO on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced a Passat and found the subaru less powerful and providing less gas milage than the Passat.The pluses are the all drive and the fa.ct that it runs on low test gas.The superior reliability and better braking are also plusses so on balance I like it better than the Passat.