Used 2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Update
By ajluptak

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is an update to an earlier posting. After 32k miles, the Subie feels much older. Mileage, at 17 mpg city, is still awful for a 4 cylinder, 165hp car. Once again, my wife is primary driver and she is not hard on the car. Car responds very sluggishly to throttle input, almost dangerously so. This car has had all required service done to date. I have taken the car to three Subaru dealers, all of them say the car runs normally. Maybe we got a bad car or one with some issues, but it has soured me toward Subarus. Once again, if you can find a 5 speed manual car, buy it over the automatic.

Favorite Features

After some small problems, reliability has been good, AWD is still impeccable in bad weather, car rides nicely, road noise is acceptable, and the car handles nicely. If you are looking to buy, resale values are quite good.

Suggested Improvements

I believe many issues have been addressed by the new car ('05 and up). On our dark blue car (and other dark Subies) I noticed the paint scratches and swirls easily. Seats are a bit lacking, they need more bolstering.

Reliable Vehicle
By ChetVA

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very handy vehicle for getting around in snow and icy conditions; fairly comfortable on long trips, though not overly roomy inside, especially in the back seat. Gas mileage is ok, but would prefer it to be more fuel efficient; never had a breakdown, and no mechanical problems whatsoever; have had some trouble with replacement wiper blades staying put; also have a lot of wind noise while driving with the windows up; seems like a bad seal in the driver side window; all in all a fantastic vehicle and super to get around in bad weather

Favorite Features

All wheel drive is the best feature, but love the sun roof too!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage; less wind noise inside.

Reliable, uncomfortable seats
By Jaschin

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 2nd subaru purchase with no regrets. Handeling and reliability consistent. DYI maintenance is easy to perform. Opted for the spoiler and leather seating to improve the "fun" factor. A little underpowered for the weight but as a daily driver, it fits the bill. No problems what so ever. If you are looking for exceptional reliability for commuting through snow, the balance of price and features (including AWD) if a good value

Favorite Features

AWD, reliability and reasonably priced maintenance Dealer or DYI. good fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Racaro seats!! Racaro seats!! Racaro seats!! the current seats do not have lumbar support and the foam compresses over time. Hey Subaru... CHANGE YOUR SEAT VENDOR!!!

uncommon sedan
By bratman2

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car while visiting our daughter in Colorado as an alternative to a SUV. We also had owned a 93 Legacy fwd and still own an old 87 Brat. We drove the 1800 miles back to the east coast in three days in this car so we got a pretty good feel for it. All I can say is outstanding ride, handling. Fuel economy broke 29 mpg with three in the car and luggage day three. Just passed 30k in the car w/ no issues, just maintaince. 19k for a sedan w/ all wheel drive, sunroof and pretty 16" alloys I while pass on Camerys and Accords. We sold our 97 Mustang when we got home, though it was a V6 and straight line would out run the Legacy, the Sub has got the handling, rain or shine.

Favorite Features

Sunroof ,all-wheel drive, handling and easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior door trim pieces were flimsy and easily broken when upgrading to new speakers. Clutch is touchy. I believe the 2005 model will take care of any power issues that people wish for, ours with the 5 speed seemed adequate.

All the bells and whistles
By Jason Kellner

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from an AWD Impreza, I thought the handling was good. My 03 Legacy GT far surpasses it. Because it sticks to the road like glue, I can keep up with Porsches and BMWs easily on mountain roads and fly right by clumsy SUVs. I test drove one with an automatic, and the complaints about power with this trans are warranted. I got a 5-speed and the sluggishness issues were resolved. I'm averaging 28 MPG in mixed driving. What's best is the '03 and '04 GTs have every option imagineable -- In-dash CD changer, heated leather seats w/side airbags, heated mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer, fog lights, 16-inch wheels, moonroof, etc. Very hard to find a 5-speed.

Favorite Features

Handling and options.

Suggested Improvements

I'd suggest making it lighter and better on gas, which they did with the '05 (non-turbo) versions. Don't care much for the faux wood grain.