2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
OK But Doesn't
By lukewarm on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We went the Suba-route once the repairs on our '90 Volvo 240DL wagon became prohibitive. Many if not most of our friends drive Subaru wagons (mainly outbacks) and LOVE them. Unfortunately, I don't. The Legacy is quite a low rider, and the interior design seems to hinder visibility and is a bit cramped. I'm not that tall (5'8") and I find the driver's seat a bit snug. The interior styling could be a touch more sophisticated at this price point. But on a positive note, it handles wonderfully in poor weather.

Great Car Often Overlooked
By SensibleDriver on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I have always owned new Subaru's since my first Legacy in 1991. It was a L+ edition that was $18k. I drove it thru college and 140k miles. I then purchased an 96 Outback. In Oct.2003 I purchased this L Sped Ed Wagon, one of two 2003's left on the lot. I have been pleased with it! Got it for $19,500! Not much more than my first in 1991, but with many more features. Love the dual sunroofs. Goes in the snow like a tank!

2003 Subaru Legacy
By RJDouglas on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am the mother of three boys and I also work full time. I live in a rural area where the roads can be very hard to drive on in snowy or rainy conditions. This car has yet to fail me. It goes in the snow or rain like a dream. It is the dependable family car, but also is very nice in apperance. It comes with two moon roofs and a very nice CD player-stereo system. It is very comfortable to ride in on long trips and gets excellent gas mileage, especially on the highway. Also, being the parent of three kids, I needed something affordable and I found all of what I needed with the Subaru Legacy. I love this car!

New Subaru
By MC98 on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Seems to be a great car, have 950 miles on it so far. Hope as good as previous Subaru's.

Best Wagon for the $
By Richardson on 09/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After test driving both the Passat and Volvo V70 series wagons we weren't totally satisfied. Then we decided to give Subaru a try. First we drove a base model Outback & liked the look but not all the features. Then the sales person showed us the 2.5 GT Legacy wagon. We kept the car over night and really tested it out. The handling is superb, sound system rocks! Seats are comfortable with plenty of room to spare. We were a bit worried that the 4 cyl. engine wouldn't be enough power, but it's fine for most driving and it's quieter.

Wagon
By EMIL TOLEDO on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I replaced a Passat and found the subaru less powerful and providing less gas milage than the Passat.The pluses are the all drive and the fa.ct that it runs on low test gas.The superior reliability and better braking are also plusses so on balance I like it better than the Passat.

Great value
By mgraze on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently test drove the special edition Legacy wagon. Impressed with the value in the package. Very nice ride and handling. At first acceleration seemed underwhelming but I found out that you have to really floor it to get the trans to kick down and get the engin into the higher rev range. Once you stomp on it, it goes pretty good. This thing is huge inside with the seats folded down. The cargo capacity rivals the much taller Honda CRV. I thought the interior was of good quality for the price range. Exterior styling is understated but it kind of grows on you. Overall, I think it is a great alternative to an SUV.

Handling + Safety Topnotch
By tanjv on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The day I got this car there was a blizzard that evening and I drove home from a party. While all the other cars (especially SUVs) were skidding all over the road this baby cruised passed them like nothing happened. Not a single skid! Try this with a Honda Accord like I did and you'll be swimming left and right. I understand it got top safety ratings from the National Highway tests.

Love It
By LuvIt on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving this car for a year, and I love it. This is my first stick in 10 years and I now remember why I like them. Nice shifting, great handling car. Very comfortable for 9 hour drives. My first (and ongoing) impression is how smooth the car is. My biggest complaints are the peformance of the standard tires in the snow (goes straight great, sporting in the turns) and the lack of get up and go when the a/c is on. The flat four is a great engine; sounds funky and is the only truly smooth 4 out there.

Great Car
By BrysImpreza on 01/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Awesome car, no complaints what-so- ever, the only thing that needed a change was the rear swaybar, so that was upgraded to a 20mm and it's a station wagon that handles like it's on rails