Used 2003 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Most Helpful|
Eh... won't do again
By thumbsabit down

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Liked it alot when I bought it -but won't do this model again. Many people I know LOVE their Subaru- but, IMHO- it's too much $$ for the bang. Our plan was to buy a new car that we can drive for many years. It's cramped when 4 in the car- and worse if an avg size dog comes with us. Exterior paint stinks-chips easily. Too many blind spots to find during test-drive. (I didn't read the articles for testing- beforehand.) Thought gas would be better- 19-21 is best mileage yet.Don't fall for the brouha-ha... I'm going with Honda or Toyota for my next car- asap.

Favorite Features

We upgraded to leather seats. Love the dual roofs.

Suggested Improvements

Better the gas mileage; improve the pick up; loose the blind spots.

8 years on: many major repairs
By tommchugh

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2003 because of manual transmission,wagon&4wheel disc. Until 2006 this was a reasonable car for my wife to drive for errands and commute. 2006 brought out the true character, noticed the clutch slipping at 48K. Had moved, took it to a dealer in new location, need 3 part clutch and brakes, calipers and rotors for ~$4.2K. Brakes had never "chirped", pass. front rotor very thin. Subaru after much back and forth did the parts but not the labor ($2.4K) at 48,000 miles. Fast forward to 2011, front brakes rotors and calipers @ 8 K mi., and today at 88K same for rears + fluid flush because of heat damage. Called Subaru today, thanked for report. Will NOT buy Subaru again

Suggested Improvements

Quality and durability is poor. I would rank it below that of British Leyland (Triumph) of the 1970s. Costs of repair need to be improved. 60K suggested maintainence was in excess of $800. Buckets need more support, 500 miles in a day is hard on the back.