Used 2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Great Subaru Can't Go Wrong
By barufan

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been rock solid. Over 150,000 miles and counting. The review that talks about the shifting, just drop into 3rd on the automatic in-town; the 4th gear is overdrive for the highway...read the manual! The head gaskets have been an issue, but there is a replacement gasket that permanently fixes the problem. I did mine as a preventative and it is still cheaper to own than many other car brands that I won't mention. I think this is a great car and will buy Subarus forever. Can't wait for the diesel model to hit the US.

Favorite Features

Fog lights work great, love the sunroofs, a REAL roof rack, fantastic acceleration for a 4-cylinder engine, and the handling is like a high-end European sedan.

Suggested Improvements

Be nice to have the fully adjustable manual seat like the older Subarus.

8 years on: many major repairs
By tommchugh

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2003 because of manual transmission,wagon&4wheel disc. Until 2006 this was a reasonable car for my wife to drive for errands and commute. 2006 brought out the true character, noticed the clutch slipping at 48K. Had moved, took it to a dealer in new location, need 3 part clutch and brakes, calipers and rotors for ~$4.2K. Brakes had never "chirped", pass. front rotor very thin. Subaru after much back and forth did the parts but not the labor ($2.4K) at 48,000 miles. Fast forward to 2011, front brakes rotors and calipers @ 8 K mi., and today at 88K same for rears + fluid flush because of heat damage. Called Subaru today, thanked for report. Will NOT buy Subaru again

Suggested Improvements

Quality and durability is poor. I would rank it below that of British Leyland (Triumph) of the 1970s. Costs of repair need to be improved. 60K suggested maintainence was in excess of $800. Buckets need more support, 500 miles in a day is hard on the back.

Not like previous Subarus
By Russ

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This model was a lemon from the start. First two days discovered there was almost no transmission fluid in the transmission. Dealer blamed us but rescinded when I wrote to Subaru Regional Manager. 70K miles car overheated due to blown gaskets, $3,000+ replacement of heads. Now at 125,000 it is being towed away as a donor as either the rod bearings or main bearings are starting to go. Two previous Subarus (1990's models) are still on the road after we gave them away at 225,000 miles years ago. This is the last Subaru we will buy.

fooled
By A.V.

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new seven years ago thinking that since it was a Subaru I wouldn't have to worry about a major repair bill until well after it hit 100,000 mi....I was wrong. This car only has 86,000 mi. on it and the cylinder head gasket is leaking. Cost estimate for repair is $920 to repair the one, and if I want to replace both the estimate is around $1700. Shortly after I bought the car, Subaru had a recall on it to fix something in the transmission. So much for the Subaru reputation for building a reliable car. Another irritation is the heater, it gets my right foot nice and toasty but leaves my left foot cold. On the positive side; it is a comfortable ride.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the color, Seamist Green. Also, there is lots of cargo room when the seat is folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Install better quality gaskets. Find a way to heat the driver side floor.

Not so sexy, but....
By Welldav

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, the car isn't the greatest car in the world. But it is very practical, reliable and just a plain workhorse. It hauls my family around, my toys and junk we buy. It's short so my wife and folks can get in and out without assistance (they are disabled). When I bought it my wife hated it and laughed at me for wanting a wagon, now she took it away from me, so I am stuck with the sedan.

Favorite Features

It's a wagon...it carries all my stuff!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage out of a little 4 cylinder would be good.