2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great Subaru Can't Go Wrong
By barufan on 04/02/12 14:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been rock solid. Over 150,000 miles and counting. The review that talks about the shifting, just drop into 3rd on the automatic in-town; the 4th gear is overdrive for the highway...read the manual! The head gaskets have been an issue, but there is a replacement gasket that permanently fixes the problem. I did mine as a preventative and it is still cheaper to own than many other car brands that I won't mention. I think this is a great car and will buy Subarus forever. Can't wait for the diesel model to hit the US.

8 years on: many major repairs
By tommchugh on 12/02/11 09:15 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in 2003 because of manual transmission,wagon&4wheel disc. Until 2006 this was a reasonable car for my wife to drive for errands and commute. 2006 brought out the true character, noticed the clutch slipping at 48K. Had moved, took it to a dealer in new location, need 3 part clutch and brakes, calipers and rotors for ~$4.2K. Brakes had never "chirped", pass. front rotor very thin. Subaru after much back and forth did the parts but not the labor ($2.4K) at 48,000 miles. Fast forward to 2011, front brakes rotors and calipers @ 8 K mi., and today at 88K same for rears + fluid flush because of heat damage. Called Subaru today, thanked for report. Will NOT buy Subaru again

Not like previous Subarus
By Russ on 03/12/10 10:36 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This model was a lemon from the start. First two days discovered there was almost no transmission fluid in the transmission. Dealer blamed us but rescinded when I wrote to Subaru Regional Manager. 70K miles car overheated due to blown gaskets, $3,000+ replacement of heads. Now at 125,000 it is being towed away as a donor as either the rod bearings or main bearings are starting to go. Two previous Subarus (1990's models) are still on the road after we gave them away at 225,000 miles years ago. This is the last Subaru we will buy.

fooled
By A.V. on 01/13/10 19:21 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new seven years ago thinking that since it was a Subaru I wouldn't have to worry about a major repair bill until well after it hit 100,000 mi....I was wrong. This car only has 86,000 mi. on it and the cylinder head gasket is leaking. Cost estimate for repair is $920 to repair the one, and if I want to replace both the estimate is around $1700. Shortly after I bought the car, Subaru had a recall on it to fix something in the transmission. So much for the Subaru reputation for building a reliable car. Another irritation is the heater, it gets my right foot nice and toasty but leaves my left foot cold. On the positive side; it is a comfortable ride.

Not so sexy, but....
By Welldav on 04/20/09 14:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, the car isn't the greatest car in the world. But it is very practical, reliable and just a plain workhorse. It hauls my family around, my toys and junk we buy. It's short so my wife and folks can get in and out without assistance (they are disabled). When I bought it my wife hated it and laughed at me for wanting a wagon, now she took it away from me, so I am stuck with the sedan.

Fun to drive, but needs good clutch
By DAGreek on 02/14/09 18:25 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I get about 20 mpg in town and 24-28 on freeways. The only major repair in 70K miles was a new clutch at 50K, which is miserable. A local Subaru specialist replaced it with a heavier version. The notchy tranny needs a 6th gear and the seats are no help for me, I am 6'3". The car is fun to drive on windy Sierra highways, and the AWD is a blessing in the snow. The engine could use more power, but if you use the whole power band and the 5 speed, it works. If I get better mileage out of the second clutch, I'll buy the Recaros.

Clutch Problems
By in NJ on 09/23/05 11:47 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 3 years our only real complaint is the clutch. From day 1, when you try to shift into first gear when the car has not been run for a few hours, the entire car shudders and bucks like you are learning to drive a manual for the first time. There is another review in here that mentions the same problem. Make sure you drive this car cold before you purchase. Otherwise, we are pretty happy with the car.

Ol' Reliable
By snowmobile on 06/08/05 04:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru wagon. I love the versatility of the vehicle, and the knowledge that it will get you where you want to go no matter what. If you can live with the lack of style, mediocre gas mileage, and lack of get up and go, this is a great vehicle. It is much more spirited with a manual transmission. Gas mileage is great compared to any SUV, however is not up to par with any front or rear wheel drive vehicle. That being stated, the AWD is impressive in rain, snow, and mud. This is an excellent alternative to a small or mid-size SUV. Reliability is uncompromised, Subaru owners generally purchase Subaru's again and again.

Eh... won't do again
By thumbsabit down on 05/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Liked it alot when I bought it -but won't do this model again. Many people I know LOVE their Subaru- but, IMHO- it's too much $$ for the bang. Our plan was to buy a new car that we can drive for many years. It's cramped when 4 in the car- and worse if an avg size dog comes with us. Exterior paint stinks-chips easily. Too many blind spots to find during test-drive. (I didn't read the articles for testing- beforehand.) Thought gas would be better- 19-21 is best mileage yet.Don't fall for the brouha-ha... I'm going with Honda or Toyota for my next car- asap.

Reliable, but boring...
By ilovesnow on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it made the most sense for me - lots of room and all wheel drive for only $17,500. What I failed to take into account was the "fun to drive" factor. Let's be honest - this car is boring to look at and to drive. The all-wheel-drive is great, but it drains all the power that the engine has to offer. The power band on the car is really strange as well. The engine sounds great up to 3500 RPM and above 4500 RPM, but between those two limits, it sounds awful. Lastly, the drivers seat is very uncomfortable on long drives. I prefer a hard seat with lumbar support.