Used 2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

This car is OUTSTANDING
By twincities25

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No problems. Great MPG. I have the special edition L series which includes a fantastic sunroof and upgraded wheels. I bought the 5 speed for better acceleration and good MPG. The best MPG I have gotten was 30 (highway). I baby this car and always have the routine maintenance done. I live in a snowy/icy area so the All wheel drive is definitely appreciated. I have never driven a more reliable car. I still get compliments on the car even though it is more than five years old now.

Favorite Features

5 speed, AWD, sunroof, MPG

Suggested Improvements

None.

This is the best car I have ever owned
By MNlovessubies

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable - even at 82k miles. The clutch is tight and acceleration with my manual 5 speed transmission is good. I have achieved 30 MPG on highway trips. I take this car on long trips and the seats are the perfect mix of firmness and luxury. I live in Minnesota, so the AWD has saved me numerous times while others are stranded. I honestly haven't had a single problem. I do keep up all recommended maintenance at the Subaru dealership.

Favorite Features

5 speed - sunroof - AWD

Suggested Improvements

Keep up the great work Subaru!

Great ideas, but rough around the edges
By PCtechGUY

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car about five months ago for the AWD. AWD is great, but does add extra weight to the car. This slows acceleration, but worst of all, you can feel the shifting in the tranny much more so than a FWD. Tranny is the worst part of this car. You hit overdrive at 35 mph, and if you coast at 35-40, it kicks in and out of overdrive constantly for hills, as well as everytime you have to bleed off speed for curves, which makes for a jerky ride. Under normal driving conditions, the car will do a lot of shifting, and the tranny is not the smoothest shifter. Interior quality is good, but could have been a little better. The knobs for the AC and heater feel a little cheap.

Favorite Features

AWD, handling, fog lights, moon roof. Gas mileage is O.K., hitting about 20 mpg in the city, 18 in the country, and 23-25 on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a five speed transmission, and spread the gears further apart. I hate the car down shifting at every small hill I come to. Not good for long road trips in the w. V. Hills (which is where I live). You have been warned: the transmission will jerk you around!

Faulty Head Gaskets Still - Buyer Beware
By Faulty Head Gaskets

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch shudder 25K miles. Replaced under warranty. Both head gaskets leaking at 89K miles. Fixed at a cost of $2K. Reputation for reliability is based upon pre 2.5L models. These cars are prone to issues by design and are expensive when need to be repaired.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Please do some simple FMEA and permanently fix the design issues.

Not quite on top, but FAR from the bottom
By PCtechGUY2003

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good all around car, but small things are lacking, or are just annoying. Don't like overdrive gear in it... it kicks into overdrive at 35 mph... which is the average speed I go (I live in the country... the physical speed limit of the roads here is 35 mph). When you let off the gas to coast, and then give it a little gas, the car jerks a little as it jumps back into the underdrive gears. Very annoying, but nothing actually wrong. Only does this at the 35 mph mark. Gas mileage isn't what I would like: 16-18 mpg. Would also like a few more horses under the hood. Don't get me wrong... this car is MUCH better than the 96 chevy lumina it replaced.

Favorite Features

Sun roof and AWD! Just got back from my first day on a slick road with this thing, and it's very steady on slick, packed snow. I also love how the seats hug you (or, maybe that's just cause I'm fat...?).

Suggested Improvements

TALLER gear ratio, or a 5th gear. Body shouldn't be sooo easily dinged. Little more power under the hood. And at least 20 mpg city.