2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
All the bells and whistles
By Jason Kellner on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from an AWD Impreza, I thought the handling was good. My 03 Legacy GT far surpasses it. Because it sticks to the road like glue, I can keep up with Porsches and BMWs easily on mountain roads and fly right by clumsy SUVs. I test drove one with an automatic, and the complaints about power with this trans are warranted. I got a 5-speed and the sluggishness issues were resolved. I'm averaging 28 MPG in mixed driving. What's best is the '03 and '04 GTs have every option imagineable -- In-dash CD changer, heated leather seats w/side airbags, heated mirrors, windshield wiper de-icer, fog lights, 16-inch wheels, moonroof, etc. Very hard to find a 5-speed.

You may wish to consider other cars
By Brandon Schultz on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have owned our Legacy 2.5 GT for 6 months. It handles better than any car I have ever owned. However, it has some design problems. When the clutch is cold, the car will vibrate excessively and now it has begun to make unusual whining noises. If you don't slam the doors, they don't close, and when the doors are slammed it starts to rattle. Sometimes you can push the remote 30 times and only the driver door will unlock although you hear a beep with each push. Other times, two beeps is enough. A little more hp would be better. You have to be He-Man to put it into reverse. Look at other brands before you buy this Subaru.

This is the car of my DREAMS!
By Etiklleh on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fourth Subaru. After two Legacy wagons and an Impreza Sport Coupe, I was ready to go for the real style of the line. I have NOT been disappointed. I get comments all the time about how classy the car looks. As for performance, I get the most out of the 4 cylinder engine. And the handling is outstanding. I am loyal to Subaru through and through, and I've even converted several friends and family.

Great looking date, but has to get loose
By Plains Drifter on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan 2.5 GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I find the look of the legacy to be attractive but my beef with the car is clear in the amount of HP it has. This car is built for safety first and that as the driver you certainly can tell. However, with safety comes alot of weight and this car needs at least another 25hp & also a 6spd tranny. On the bright side, I've never driven a sports car that handles better, the AWD is awesome and this car is just as sure footed on wet ground as it is on dry ground