2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Amazing until 100k
By _herzog on 11/08/13 11:35 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved this car and would purchase another, because Subaru's are safe and handle amazing. Worse luck though, I had a blown head gasket at just over 100k and that was the beginning of all sorts of engine problems, resulting in eventual engine replacement; and this, despite faithful maintenance from the dealer since I purchased it at 14k.

This car is OUTSTANDING
By twincities25 on 02/06/09 02:37 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

No problems. Great MPG. I have the special edition L series which includes a fantastic sunroof and upgraded wheels. I bought the 5 speed for better acceleration and good MPG. The best MPG I have gotten was 30 (highway). I baby this car and always have the routine maintenance done. I live in a snowy/icy area so the All wheel drive is definitely appreciated. I have never driven a more reliable car. I still get compliments on the car even though it is more than five years old now.

This is the best car I have ever owned
By MNlovessubies on 10/19/08 22:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable - even at 82k miles. The clutch is tight and acceleration with my manual 5 speed transmission is good. I have achieved 30 MPG on highway trips. I take this car on long trips and the seats are the perfect mix of firmness and luxury. I live in Minnesota, so the AWD has saved me numerous times while others are stranded. I honestly haven't had a single problem. I do keep up all recommended maintenance at the Subaru dealership.

Great ideas, but rough around the edges
By PCtechGUY on 04/20/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car about five months ago for the AWD. AWD is great, but does add extra weight to the car. This slows acceleration, but worst of all, you can feel the shifting in the tranny much more so than a FWD. Tranny is the worst part of this car. You hit overdrive at 35 mph, and if you coast at 35-40, it kicks in and out of overdrive constantly for hills, as well as everytime you have to bleed off speed for curves, which makes for a jerky ride. Under normal driving conditions, the car will do a lot of shifting, and the tranny is not the smoothest shifter. Interior quality is good, but could have been a little better. The knobs for the AC and heater feel a little cheap.

Faulty Head Gaskets Still - Buyer Beware
By Faulty Head Gaskets on 01/25/08 17:10 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Clutch shudder 25K miles. Replaced under warranty. Both head gaskets leaking at 89K miles. Fixed at a cost of $2K. Reputation for reliability is based upon pre 2.5L models. These cars are prone to issues by design and are expensive when need to be repaired.

Not quite on top, but FAR from the bottom
By PCtechGUY2003 on 01/02/08 12:11 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Good all around car, but small things are lacking, or are just annoying. Don't like overdrive gear in it... it kicks into overdrive at 35 mph... which is the average speed I go (I live in the country... the physical speed limit of the roads here is 35 mph). When you let off the gas to coast, and then give it a little gas, the car jerks a little as it jumps back into the underdrive gears. Very annoying, but nothing actually wrong. Only does this at the 35 mph mark. Gas mileage isn't what I would like: 16-18 mpg. Would also like a few more horses under the hood. Don't get me wrong... this car is MUCH better than the 96 chevy lumina it replaced.

Poor quality can't hide
By louis Eastman on 12/19/07 18:08 PM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Not happy with braking system, chews up rotors and discs, air conditioning system needs to be recharged yearly, heating system does not heat floor very well. Destroys tires, less than 20000 miles for tires. The entire undercarriage is rusted out after only 5 years; this is a major problem. Two pistons were replaced under warranty and now the remaining two are near failure and are not covered. I would not recommend this vehicle to another person.

It's ok and that's it!
By R.J.M. on 04/11/07 05:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love the versatility of the car. I will say that it will get you where you want to go no matter what is true. If you can live with the lack of power, style, and mediocre gas mileage. The manual transmission is much better for passing and is more fun to drive. Gas mileage is the same if compared to any small SUV. I have 90000 miles on mine in four years of driving it and it has had a lot of work done to it some under the warranty and some by myself to save money (water pump, hug bearings, brakes and rotors twice, O2 sensors and a CAT, and just last week the viscous coupler and bearings went in the transmission). I do not beat on the car but I do drive it on the expressway 80 miles a day at 75 mph.

terrible perofrmance
By chris on 01/29/07 06:41 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good looking, well appointed car but terrible performance. Sluggish acceleration coupled with terrible gas mileage. Doubtful if I would purchase again.

AWD Excellent
By Sean Hynes on 03/19/06 10:44 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan L Special Edition AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has done a great job. AWD is excellent in the snow, and we get 100+ inches each year. Gas mpg average 23 with a good amount of highway driving. Quality and reliability have been excellent, not one problem in almost 3 years! Could use a few more horses, and interior space is limited, basically a 4 seater.

1 2 3 4 5 next »