Used 2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Not so sexy, but....
By Welldav

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, the car isn't the greatest car in the world. But it is very practical, reliable and just a plain workhorse. It hauls my family around, my toys and junk we buy. It's short so my wife and folks can get in and out without assistance (they are disabled). When I bought it my wife hated it and laughed at me for wanting a wagon, now she took it away from me, so I am stuck with the sedan.

Favorite Features

It's a wagon...it carries all my stuff!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage out of a little 4 cylinder would be good.

Fun to drive, but needs good clutch
By DAGreek

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I get about 20 mpg in town and 24-28 on freeways. The only major repair in 70K miles was a new clutch at 50K, which is miserable. A local Subaru specialist replaced it with a heavier version. The notchy tranny needs a 6th gear and the seats are no help for me, I am 6'3". The car is fun to drive on windy Sierra highways, and the AWD is a blessing in the snow. The engine could use more power, but if you use the whole power band and the 5 speed, it works. If I get better mileage out of the second clutch, I'll buy the Recaros.

Favorite Features

AWD, storage, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, heavier clutch, peppier engine.

Clutch Problems
By in NJ

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In 3 years our only real complaint is the clutch. From day 1, when you try to shift into first gear when the car has not been run for a few hours, the entire car shudders and bucks like you are learning to drive a manual for the first time. There is another review in here that mentions the same problem. Make sure you drive this car cold before you purchase. Otherwise, we are pretty happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Styling. Massive cargo space with the seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your clutch design. Even though Subaru of America fails to admit it (the only Service Bulletin on this issue is for the WRX), I have heard of plenty of cases where people have had clutch problems on several different Subaru models, not just the WRX.

Ol' Reliable
By snowmobile

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Subaru wagon. I love the versatility of the vehicle, and the knowledge that it will get you where you want to go no matter what. If you can live with the lack of style, mediocre gas mileage, and lack of get up and go, this is a great vehicle. It is much more spirited with a manual transmission. Gas mileage is great compared to any SUV, however is not up to par with any front or rear wheel drive vehicle. That being stated, the AWD is impressive in rain, snow, and mud. This is an excellent alternative to a small or mid-size SUV. Reliability is uncompromised, Subaru owners generally purchase Subaru's again and again.

Favorite Features

Dual sunroofs, oversized fluid reservoirs, and spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower/torque and better fuel economy.

Reliable, but boring...
By ilovesnow

2003 Subaru Legacy L Special Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it made the most sense for me - lots of room and all wheel drive for only $17,500. What I failed to take into account was the "fun to drive" factor. Let's be honest - this car is boring to look at and to drive. The all-wheel-drive is great, but it drains all the power that the engine has to offer. The power band on the car is really strange as well. The engine sounds great up to 3500 RPM and above 4500 RPM, but between those two limits, it sounds awful. Lastly, the drivers seat is very uncomfortable on long drives. I prefer a hard seat with lumbar support.

Favorite Features

Reliability and go anywhere all-wheel- drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, smoother clutch, and will somebody please put a turbocharger on the engine!