2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Love the Legacy
By bunsbuggy on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in November of 2001, I love the car. It is great driving in snow or ice, all four wheels keep you going straight as an arrow. The AWD feels cool around corners too, you can feel the weight shift and the gripping tires rail you around the corner, it's awesome. Fuel economy disappoints at 21 in city, 24 on highway. I have the manual tranny, its fun to use. The back window defroster is weak, takes forever to defrost. Otherwise, solid manufacturing, should last 200,000 miles i hope.

4th Subaru (better each time)
By ShawanoJim on 09/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I got a leftover '02 L-wagon for $600 under invoice w/3.9% financing. I love the car. Great seats and driving position. Wagon has lots of room for luggage/stroller and grocery bags. Everything is solid on the car. A well equipped vehicle for the L (base) model. Subaru’s are the most reliable vehicles I’ve ever owned (as good as my Acura Legend and Toyota X-cab 4x4 Pickup!). Very easy to service for the weekend mechanic. Truly Subaru's have best in class crash test ratings. Glad we had one when someone decided to cross a divided highway in front of my wife w/ her ‘95 Impreza. Have looked at crash ratings ever since!

Great car for the price
By Fryguy on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently purchased my Subaru Legacy GT Limited and love it. It rides great and handles just as well. I was looking at similiar models from Audi, BMW, and VW but they do not come close for the price.

Reliable car
By Asanth on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a one of the reliable car like Honda,Toyota,Nissan

Subaru Legacy Wagon - Terrific!
By Palingenesis on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely pleased with the Legacy Wagon. I do not like two-tone and I detest SUVs - the Legacy gives me AWD without these negatives. Exceptionally smooth 4 cylinder boxer engine - very nice sound when accelerating. Very solid - no rattles and gives a feeling of solidity. Very comfortable seats at an excellent height for easy entry and exiting.

Fun car
By blueklister on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't plan on buying another Subaru. We have an Outback, which was great for skiing and well put together. But I needed a new car and drove the Hondas, Toyotas, Golfs, Passats, etc. Great cars all, but no soul, no real road handling. Found myself back at the Subaru dealer test driving a Legacy sedan. Not the prettiest car -- but what a great road handling car! I guess its the AWD that gives it that great road feel. My only complaint after 22,000 miles is it is a bit jerky at low rpms. Incredible brakes, zippy when passing on quiet country roads and handles so incredibly well in the corners.

Incremental Improvements => Good Value
By redeft321 on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We have driven a 1996 Legacy Brighton 5 speed 120K miles, and just purchased a 2002 Legacy L wagon wi 5 speed. Subaru's strategy has been to make many improvements on a good base car instead of running wi short cycle of major reengineering and redesign. Like VW's strategy of the 60s and 70s, this has allowed Fuji Heavy Industries to spread major design and tooling costs over longer multiyear production runs. The benefits of this strategy, wi modest yen depreciation, reflected in value. Our 1996 Brighton cost us $15300 with self financing. 2002 L Wagon with the improvements and added standard equipment noted below cost us $18500 with 1.9 percent 24 month financing.

This car rocks
By paul D on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Listen Subaru rocks!!! I have a 95 wagon LS and i love it and i'm seriously considering buying another the only problem i have with them is their high price tag sure you get an awesome machine but it is a tad expensive when comparing to others like toyota matrix for example But don't get me wrong they have the best engine out of any car and their vehicals have guts

A bit disappointed
By SSmith2 on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 5 speed Legacy L wagon in August 2001. I had driven a 1995 Brighton for years. I put very few miles (3100 in almost 9 months!) on the car as I commute by bicycle most of the time. In many ways, the 2001 seems to be more shoddily constructed than my '95. The clutch is grabby, it has an odd groan in the steering when executing tight, low-speed maneuvers, the paint has a lot of orange peel, the wheels were unbalanced, the driver's door really takes a slam to get it to shut, and the fuel filler door is misaligned.

Great Value
By juice on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We just picked up our 2nd Subaru last week for only $17,827. For that price we got ABS, AWD, wagon bodystyle, AM/FM/cassette, A/C, cruise, keyless, power windows, power locks, power steering, power mirrors, and carpets. Nothing can match the features for the price. The car feels solid and smooth, and was delivered with zero flaws. It's roomy, quiet, comfortable, and was best in class in IIHS crash tests. It's fun and practical. Warranty is better than Honda. Materials better than average for the class, too.