Used 2002 Subaru Legacy L Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Fun car
By blueklister

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't plan on buying another Subaru. We have an Outback, which was great for skiing and well put together. But I needed a new car and drove the Hondas, Toyotas, Golfs, Passats, etc. Great cars all, but no soul, no real road handling. Found myself back at the Subaru dealer test driving a Legacy sedan. Not the prettiest car -- but what a great road handling car! I guess its the AWD that gives it that great road feel. My only complaint after 22,000 miles is it is a bit jerky at low rpms. Incredible brakes, zippy when passing on quiet country roads and handles so incredibly well in the corners.

Handles incredibly well, zippy enough that I have a big smile plastered to my face after passing, quiet, 29-30 mpg all the time, great visibility and a thermometer that tells me the outside temp.

Better computer/throttle controls at low rpm. If "0" was your foot fully off the gas pedal and "10" all the way down, there is no "1" -- just a "0" or a "2". Hard to be smooth when that happens. I'm convinced it is something to do with the computer chip and nothing mechanical.

A bit disappointed
By SSmith2

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 5 speed Legacy L wagon in August 2001. I had driven a 1995 Brighton for years. I put very few miles (3100 in almost 9 months!) on the car as I commute by bicycle most of the time. In many ways, the 2001 seems to be more shoddily constructed than my '95. The clutch is grabby, it has an odd groan in the steering when executing tight, low-speed maneuvers, the paint has a lot of orange peel, the wheels were unbalanced, the driver's door really takes a slam to get it to shut, and the fuel filler door is misaligned.

Very smooth, supple ride. Good handling characteristics, AWD when you need it.

Build quality is an issue, it feels pretty sluggish Also, compared to our'95 Camry, the interior feels pretty cramped. Three kid's carseats/boosters hardly fit. I hate to say it, but I regret buying it.

Don't Make the Same Mistake I Did
By Yessir Arafat

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subaru does not stand behind their product. The glass window on the passenger side front door exploded for no reason when my daughter opened the door one morning. She sustained injury to her eye - scratched cornea and cut under the eyelid. Subaru would not repair the car under warranty. I went so far as to contact the President of Subaru of America for help and got none. They were extremely rude, which added insult to injury. The next time I see them will be in court. Save yourself the hassle - buy a Nissan Altima or Toyota Corolla.

Subaru needs to learn how to build safe cars and how to treat customers with respect.

A nice riding car
By Ajene

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have not purchase the Legacy, but I test drove. I enjoyed the suspension that was supplied on the car. The ride was very smooth and comfortable. Also, the 4 cylinder boxer engine produced enough power to push the car as if it was a V6. The only problem I had was the rear seating capacity. There was not enough room for people who want to sit in the rear seat.

The suspensions,the boxer engine, ABS, and AWD.

More room for people in the rear seats.

Good car for the price!
By Hokiebird

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were already convinced of Subaru's reliability record with our first used 1993 Legacy L Wagon. It's up to 220,000 miles and the only major repairs we've made were to replace a front axle and a new alternator. We choose a new 2002 sedan this time around, and have been very happy with through the first 15,000 miles.

Reliability, solid build, good gas milage and road handling, AWD, excellent safety features. (including ABS standard)

The automatic shifting is a bit rough and lathargic, but the engine has plenty of passing power when needed.