Used 2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Reliable all-weather performer
By ttran

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine at the tail end of winter in MN. Wish I bought it earlier! This thing plows snow like a champ, especially with the Blizzaks. Truly a vehicle of choice in the winter. Now that it's summer time I'm starting to notice the noise. I don't get any wind noise but the engine and road noise is definitely noticeable. I'm hoping my next set of tires will solve the road noise but I'm not sure what to do about the engine noise. Very buzzy. Handles well but could use more power. I give this a 10 during the winter and a 6.5 for the summer.

Favorite Features

AWD rocks. Winter package is great. No mechanical issues.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo charger and a couple more inches of leg room would be nice.

Subarus are over rated
By mr.z

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was very excited when I ordered my Subaru. That all ended after two weeks of ownership thats when the steering started going in and out. I never had a road noise issues it was the wind blowing through the window that never closed proper after two years that I had issue with. That was fixed four times it never lasted more than two weeks. At three years old the car started rusting (body and brake lines), the ABS was no longer working at this point. Maybe I expect to much when I pay $27k car. Last thing I had flat once and the jack broke. I sold this car with over 59k on it.

Favorite Features

A fun car that did well in snow with a nice feeling 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

RUST. So much rust a three year old car should not need major under body repair for rust

Junkie
By wew

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this subie for 9 months. It blow one head gasket. So I replaced both of them, after 700 miles it cracked a head. The head lights keep burning out. Wind noise is very loud. Its just a junkie car. Rust is coming in on the rear doors buy the seams. I wash and take care of my cars. But after 5 years and 85,000 miles its just junkie. I will never buy a sub again.

Favorite Features

AWD is ok but the rearend wants to come around when you step on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better engine. And cut the price of the parts.

We hate this car! Bring back the '94!
By Dannaca

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had owned a 94 and loved it. The only thing the 02 has in common with the 94 is the name! It has horrible wind noise, uncomfortable front seats, cramped back seats, bad steering components. I have had more work done to this car than I ever needed in the 94 and it needs more work even now. Also there is no power in the vehicle at all. It is as slow as the Prizm I owned before it but at least I expected that from the Prizm!

Favorite Features

AWD, sound system, cruise control (Prizm didn't have that).

Suggested Improvements

Whatever they used to do worked, maybe they are trying to go cheaper, but the new Subaru is a piece of junk. A front seat that didn't make your leg go to sleep after 30 miles would be great, some power wouldn't be a bad thing either, and the ability to turn the wheel! Just little things like that.

Fun to drive around mountains roads.
By Glenn

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 170000 on it. It's still very tight and smooth. It's great in the snow (under 8") with new tires on. I've always had problems with the brakes (front calipers) and of course the wind noise. The check engine light has been on for a long time. New Catalytic converter cost over $1500). All my driving is highway but I haven't done the timing belt yet. I'll do it soon. The dealer was able to correct 50% of the wind noise. The rear defroster isn't very strong compared to other cars. I drive over 1000 miles every week. It only gets 25- 27MPG (due to the AWD and the weight of the car.

Favorite Features

Cold weather package (heated mirrors, seats, windshield), handling, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

More reliable breaks, better rear defrost, better stereo, correct wind noise. More power.