2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Junkie
By wew on 12/31/08 15:56 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this subie for 9 months. It blow one head gasket. So I replaced both of them, after 700 miles it cracked a head. The head lights keep burning out. Wind noise is very loud. Its just a junkie car. Rust is coming in on the rear doors buy the seams. I wash and take care of my cars. But after 5 years and 85,000 miles its just junkie. I will never buy a sub again.

We hate this car! Bring back the '94!
By Dannaca on 12/28/08 17:21 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had owned a 94 and loved it. The only thing the 02 has in common with the 94 is the name! It has horrible wind noise, uncomfortable front seats, cramped back seats, bad steering components. I have had more work done to this car than I ever needed in the 94 and it needs more work even now. Also there is no power in the vehicle at all. It is as slow as the Prizm I owned before it but at least I expected that from the Prizm!

Fun to drive around mountains roads.
By Glenn on 07/20/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 170000 on it. It's still very tight and smooth. It's great in the snow (under 8") with new tires on. I've always had problems with the brakes (front calipers) and of course the wind noise. The check engine light has been on for a long time. New Catalytic converter cost over $1500). All my driving is highway but I haven't done the timing belt yet. I'll do it soon. The dealer was able to correct 50% of the wind noise. The rear defroster isn't very strong compared to other cars. I drive over 1000 miles every week. It only gets 25- 27MPG (due to the AWD and the weight of the car.

Problem after problem
By kbauman on 05/12/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In the 5 1/2 years since we bought our 2002 legacy we've had to replace the oil pan (60k miles), head gasket (85k miles), and catalytic converters (88k miles). Our maintanence costs on this car are running at a rate of around $4000/yr, which is more than the payment of a new car. It's either a lemon, or Subaru just doesn't build them like they used too.

2002 Subaru Legacy L
By gumbputt on 03/30/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

AWD is great. 110,000 miles replaced head gaskets $1200. 25-28 mpg. Back oxygen sensor out, would cost $100+ just for the part. Wind noise on driver's door correctable only by wedging paper in between gasket and window. Passenger window has be raised and lowered until perfect to cancel wind noise. Has always started. Seats aren't overly comfortable for long drives. Overall I would get another one.

Subaru Legacy
By eoj88 on 03/18/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First few years of ownership the car performed as desired. However in the third year of ownership road noise became louder. Car has started to rust in the rear door jams at the seams. The rear quarter panel has developed large rust areas. These days I would expect a car to last more than 5 years before rusting out.

Worst car I ever owned
By thebaaron on 09/19/07 21:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up this car with 30k miles in great shape and right away started having problems with window seals, moon roof seal, O2 sensors, head lights, check engine light, heat shield, clutch, electrical bugs, you name it, I've fixed it, until finally with 70k miles on the odometer, the engine jumped time and bent all the valves costing me $3500. No aftermarket support either, because no one wants anything to do with this lemon. I can't say that I blame them. I can't wait to be rid of this heap.

Great car to drive
By Gary on 01/27/05 13:43 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has been very reliable, and the service records (I bought used) show no problems. Acceleration very good for a normally-aspirated H-4 engine and a 3400 lb car. Drove the H-6, but honestly did not think its acceleration and torque were that much better. AWD excellent, handling very good, and no problems with brakes. Interior is nice, but I have leather. Tune-ups are fairly easy. Re: other reviews: V6? Don't expect in Subarus because they use boxer engines. Upgrade interior? A $25K car will never have the tactile feel of a $40K car. There is some wind noise, seats could have more adjustment, but, again, IT'S A $25k CAR. As a package, hard to knock. Most auto reviewers like the Legacy GT.

Great car
By Vic S on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have really enjoyed having and driving this vehicle especially in snowy and icy weather. It is comfortable, handles extremely well and corners like it was on rails. The heater warms up quickly in cold weather adding to the enjoyment of this vehicle.

Subaru Legacy GT LTD Experience
By shersr on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are long distance drivers (40,000+ miles per year) and demand a lot from our vehicles. The Subaru Legacy GT LTD has offers a nice ride, but suffers from reliability problems. We had a re-occurring brake problem with freezing rear calipers (frozen open, that is). We replaced the wiring harness and spark plugs at 50,000 miles due to shorting in the coil. The catalytic converter needs replacement at 90,000 miles. We also had to have the trim around the driver side window re-glued. National Subaru customer reps are not helpful and rude. Next time we buy a Honda.