Used 2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

she gave us 130K trouble-free miles
By kat2015

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Legacy Wagon brand new in 2001. We have put almost 135K miles on her, and now she's burning/leaking about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Mechanic tells us she has a cracked head gasket and unlike older Subarus, where you could simply put a new engine in the thing for about $1500, these models don't work like that and will require repair for about $2000. So we are shopping for a new car. Most likely another (our 3rd) Subaru, as we are addicted to AWD in the unpredictable northwest winters.

Favorite Features

AWD, Pep (she gets me up and over 2 mountain passes with ease regularly), reliability (we have had no troubles, until now). Great family car. Great for people with dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage will be nice in the newer models.

My Second Subaru
By Sirstinky

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 69k miles and so far I put a little over 1000 on it. My 1991 has 190,000 miles on it and still runs good so I got another one. So far so good. This is a very good-looking wagon. I love the awd. Good brakes and handling. It's not too loud inside (there's the common Subaru wind noise) and the ride is smooth. So far no head gasket issues, but the engine has a noisy lifter now when cold and the transmission could be better. Jerky shifts when cold, and it upshifts/downshifts slowly when you need it to. The interior looks good and is solidly-built. Not many squeaks or rattles for 70K miles. Gas mileage bad in city driving 19-21 mpg.

Favorite Features

AWD Good brakes and handling Looks great Center-console cup holders Cheaper than European AWD wagons Solidly-built 2 sunroofs Lots of room in back

Suggested Improvements

Questionable reliability Noisy lifter when cold Re-design transmission More HP Quieter drivetrain Get rid of pillar-less door frames for less wind noise

Wonderful car
By Ownedlotsofcars

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon used in 2006. It has been sensational, reliable, fun to drive, easy to handle, just a fine automobile. Things I've had to repair: cooling system has a minute leak somewhere that was stopped with additive; moon roof stopped popping up but the sun roof (yes it's a double moon/sun roof!) works just fine, so the moon roof pop up hardware just needs to be re- engaged. I'm going to have to replace the head gasket soon, but I'm putting it off and putting up with the small leak stain I have in my garage. For a used car, though, it's hard to imagine a better buy. I'm a pretty assertive drive. I drive the crap out of this thing and it has never let me down.

Favorite Features

Handling is superb, super responsive, great visibility, nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors make wind noise, which seems to be common on Subarus.

Best w/ a little help.
By Wreckreation

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. Upgraded from '98 legacy. Added cold air intake, computer mod and short throw shifter. Short throw shifter best addition yet. Intake and computer brought HP to 200! Great power in 25k-55k RPM. Superior in blizzard conditions with 4pp, Snowbaords and gear. Almost 100k w/ no issues. 26mpg in city driving, now in FL and AC is cold as ice, and it turns heads. Black ACR rims w/ chrome strip, adds wonderful cornering capabilities.

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroofs, row-your-own transmission. Rare vehicle, plenty of space in trunk, great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better door trim rain gutters. More stock power.

Problem after problem
By kbauman

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In the 5 1/2 years since we bought our 2002 legacy we've had to replace the oil pan (60k miles), head gasket (85k miles), and catalytic converters (88k miles). Our maintanence costs on this car are running at a rate of around $4000/yr, which is more than the payment of a new car. It's either a lemon, or Subaru just doesn't build them like they used too.

Favorite Features

AWD wagon.