2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
she gave us 130K trouble-free miles
By kat2015 on 06/14/14 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Legacy Wagon brand new in 2001. We have put almost 135K miles on her, and now she's burning/leaking about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Mechanic tells us she has a cracked head gasket and unlike older Subarus, where you could simply put a new engine in the thing for about $1500, these models don't work like that and will require repair for about $2000. So we are shopping for a new car. Most likely another (our 3rd) Subaru, as we are addicted to AWD in the unpredictable northwest winters.

My Second Subaru
By Sirstinky on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 69k miles and so far I put a little over 1000 on it. My 1991 has 190,000 miles on it and still runs good so I got another one. So far so good. This is a very good-looking wagon. I love the awd. Good brakes and handling. It's not too loud inside (there's the common Subaru wind noise) and the ride is smooth. So far no head gasket issues, but the engine has a noisy lifter now when cold and the transmission could be better. Jerky shifts when cold, and it upshifts/downshifts slowly when you need it to. The interior looks good and is solidly-built. Not many squeaks or rattles for 70K miles. Gas mileage bad in city driving 19-21 mpg.

Wonderful car
By Ownedlotsofcars on 05/19/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon used in 2006. It has been sensational, reliable, fun to drive, easy to handle, just a fine automobile. Things I've had to repair: cooling system has a minute leak somewhere that was stopped with additive; moon roof stopped popping up but the sun roof (yes it's a double moon/sun roof!) works just fine, so the moon roof pop up hardware just needs to be re- engaged. I'm going to have to replace the head gasket soon, but I'm putting it off and putting up with the small leak stain I have in my garage. For a used car, though, it's hard to imagine a better buy. I'm a pretty assertive drive. I drive the crap out of this thing and it has never let me down.

Best w/ a little help.
By Wreckreation on 12/20/09 09:30 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. Upgraded from '98 legacy. Added cold air intake, computer mod and short throw shifter. Short throw shifter best addition yet. Intake and computer brought HP to 200! Great power in 25k-55k RPM. Superior in blizzard conditions with 4pp, Snowbaords and gear. Almost 100k w/ no issues. 26mpg in city driving, now in FL and AC is cold as ice, and it turns heads. Black ACR rims w/ chrome strip, adds wonderful cornering capabilities.

Problem after problem
By kbauman on 05/12/08 12:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In the 5 1/2 years since we bought our 2002 legacy we've had to replace the oil pan (60k miles), head gasket (85k miles), and catalytic converters (88k miles). Our maintanence costs on this car are running at a rate of around $4000/yr, which is more than the payment of a new car. It's either a lemon, or Subaru just doesn't build them like they used too.

2002 Subaru Legacy L
By gumbputt on 03/30/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

AWD is great. 110,000 miles replaced head gaskets $1200. 25-28 mpg. Back oxygen sensor out, would cost $100+ just for the part. Wind noise on driver's door correctable only by wedging paper in between gasket and window. Passenger window has be raised and lowered until perfect to cancel wind noise. Has always started. Seats aren't overly comfortable for long drives. Overall I would get another one.

Great car
By Vic S on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have really enjoyed having and driving this vehicle especially in snowy and icy weather. It is comfortable, handles extremely well and corners like it was on rails. The heater warms up quickly in cold weather adding to the enjoyment of this vehicle.

Wagon Love
By Uncle Jay on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The motor went bad at 24000 miles. It was a manufacturing flaw. AWD is very nice. I have a manual and like to shift but I wish the center differential was an intelligent one like on the automatics.

Could have been great, but...
By Dr. Alif Terranson on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The performance of the 4 wheezing mice just doesn't cut it. I actually thought the car had a problem, and brought it in for service - the service manager stated that this was "just the way it is with the newer Subarus, because of the emissions control requirements". This is, of course, pure BS, as I have an even newer car (from another manufacturer) that meets emissions without this performance hit. The performance is *so* bad that I was going to upgrade to the 6cyl, unfortunately, a drive in that confirmed that this is a design issue, and not an engine size problem.

Great wagon
By may ma on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a wagon for less than 20K. This is it!