Used 2002 Subaru Legacy L Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Most Helpful|
Junkie
By wew

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this subie for 9 months. It blow one head gasket. So I replaced both of them, after 700 miles it cracked a head. The head lights keep burning out. Wind noise is very loud. Its just a junkie car. Rust is coming in on the rear doors buy the seams. I wash and take care of my cars. But after 5 years and 85,000 miles its just junkie. I will never buy a sub again.

Favorite Features

AWD is ok but the rearend wants to come around when you step on the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better engine. And cut the price of the parts.

Be cautious if buying used
By bm16v

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle used and it has not been a great experience. Overall, the car is ok but if you are in the market for this model, go above and beyond to see if the vehicle has any oil consumption issues. My car eats oil like crazy and after researching "oil consumption subaru" I have learned I am not alone. I've switched to a thicker oil and have just learned to live with the issue. I have had several VW's and now appreciate what I had with the VR6 engine. Looking forward to seeing how this thing does in the snow, but I really don't like driving this car. Subarus can be good, but this thing is getting sold in the spring.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive and 4 cylinder combination in a sedan.

Subaru Legacy Wagon - Terrific!
By Palingenesis

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely pleased with the Legacy Wagon. I do not like two-tone and I detest SUVs - the Legacy gives me AWD without these negatives. Exceptionally smooth 4 cylinder boxer engine - very nice sound when accelerating. Very solid - no rattles and gives a feeling of solidity. Very comfortable seats at an excellent height for easy entry and exiting.

Favorite Features

(1) AWD is terrific - will not buy another vehicle without it (2) Excellent turning radius (3) Intelligent details: Wide angle rearview mirror; Washers spray - not squirt; Map lights; Side mirrors deflectable; Huge window washer fluid tank; Push button controls for A/C etc.

Suggested Improvements

(1) Widen rear hatch to allow 4 foot wide panels to be loaded. (2) Power locks should have option to unlock ALL doors at once with key (e.g. turning key twice a la Camry) (3) Improve tactile feel of brakes - too rubbery (4) Put gas cap on LEFT side - right side is a Detroit idiocy.

Clutch issues
By krussell

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace the clutch in 2008 and now am told I need another clutch! Quoted price is $1000 this seems ridiculous to me. HELP!

love it
By subiegirl

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love it!AWD is the best ever invented!