2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Be cautious if buying used
By bm16v on 11/23/11 12:03 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle used and it has not been a great experience. Overall, the car is ok but if you are in the market for this model, go above and beyond to see if the vehicle has any oil consumption issues. My car eats oil like crazy and after researching "oil consumption subaru" I have learned I am not alone. I've switched to a thicker oil and have just learned to live with the issue. I have had several VW's and now appreciate what I had with the VR6 engine. Looking forward to seeing how this thing does in the snow, but I really don't like driving this car. Subarus can be good, but this thing is getting sold in the spring.

Clutch issues
By krussell on 07/21/10 17:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace the clutch in 2008 and now am told I need another clutch! Quoted price is $1000 this seems ridiculous to me. HELP!

Junkie
By wew on 12/31/08 15:56 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had this subie for 9 months. It blow one head gasket. So I replaced both of them, after 700 miles it cracked a head. The head lights keep burning out. Wind noise is very loud. Its just a junkie car. Rust is coming in on the rear doors buy the seams. I wash and take care of my cars. But after 5 years and 85,000 miles its just junkie. I will never buy a sub again.

love it
By subiegirl on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love it!AWD is the best ever invented!

Subaru Legacy Wagon - Terrific!
By Palingenesis on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am extremely pleased with the Legacy Wagon. I do not like two-tone and I detest SUVs - the Legacy gives me AWD without these negatives. Exceptionally smooth 4 cylinder boxer engine - very nice sound when accelerating. Very solid - no rattles and gives a feeling of solidity. Very comfortable seats at an excellent height for easy entry and exiting.

Fun car
By blueklister on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't plan on buying another Subaru. We have an Outback, which was great for skiing and well put together. But I needed a new car and drove the Hondas, Toyotas, Golfs, Passats, etc. Great cars all, but no soul, no real road handling. Found myself back at the Subaru dealer test driving a Legacy sedan. Not the prettiest car -- but what a great road handling car! I guess its the AWD that gives it that great road feel. My only complaint after 22,000 miles is it is a bit jerky at low rpms. Incredible brakes, zippy when passing on quiet country roads and handles so incredibly well in the corners.

A bit disappointed
By SSmith2 on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 5 speed Legacy L wagon in August 2001. I had driven a 1995 Brighton for years. I put very few miles (3100 in almost 9 months!) on the car as I commute by bicycle most of the time. In many ways, the 2001 seems to be more shoddily constructed than my '95. The clutch is grabby, it has an odd groan in the steering when executing tight, low-speed maneuvers, the paint has a lot of orange peel, the wheels were unbalanced, the driver's door really takes a slam to get it to shut, and the fuel filler door is misaligned.

Don't Make the Same Mistake I Did
By Yessir Arafat on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subaru does not stand behind their product. The glass window on the passenger side front door exploded for no reason when my daughter opened the door one morning. She sustained injury to her eye - scratched cornea and cut under the eyelid. Subaru would not repair the car under warranty. I went so far as to contact the President of Subaru of America for help and got none. They were extremely rude, which added insult to injury. The next time I see them will be in court. Save yourself the hassle - buy a Nissan Altima or Toyota Corolla.

A nice riding car
By Ajene on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have not purchase the Legacy, but I test drove. I enjoyed the suspension that was supplied on the car. The ride was very smooth and comfortable. Also, the 4 cylinder boxer engine produced enough power to push the car as if it was a V6. The only problem I had was the rear seating capacity. There was not enough room for people who want to sit in the rear seat.

Good car for the price!
By Hokiebird on 03/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We were already convinced of Subaru's reliability record with our first used 1993 Legacy L Wagon. It's up to 220,000 miles and the only major repairs we've made were to replace a front axle and a new alternator. We choose a new 2002 sedan this time around, and have been very happy with through the first 15,000 miles.