Used 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Subarus are over rated
By mr.z

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was very excited when I ordered my Subaru. That all ended after two weeks of ownership thats when the steering started going in and out. I never had a road noise issues it was the wind blowing through the window that never closed proper after two years that I had issue with. That was fixed four times it never lasted more than two weeks. At three years old the car started rusting (body and brake lines), the ABS was no longer working at this point. Maybe I expect to much when I pay $27k car. Last thing I had flat once and the jack broke. I sold this car with over 59k on it.

Favorite Features

A fun car that did well in snow with a nice feeling 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

RUST. So much rust a three year old car should not need major under body repair for rust

Worst car I ever owned
By thebaaron

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up this car with 30k miles in great shape and right away started having problems with window seals, moon roof seal, O2 sensors, head lights, check engine light, heat shield, clutch, electrical bugs, you name it, I've fixed it, until finally with 70k miles on the odometer, the engine jumped time and bent all the valves costing me $3500. No aftermarket support either, because no one wants anything to do with this lemon. I can't say that I blame them. I can't wait to be rid of this heap.

Favorite Features

Good looking car. The AWD feels more confident than the Volvo or Audi.

Suggested Improvements

Grossly underpowered engine, sub standard brakes, sloppy feeling 5 speed.

quality declines in late model Subarus
By ssa

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Less than 26000 miles and have had major brake job (all 4 wheels), new clutch, repeated problems with wind noise and 'check engine' light coming on. Basically a big dissapointment compared to the many Subaru's I've owned in the past.

Favorite Features

4-wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Brakes suck, big time!

No Nonsense Performance & Practicality
By jcgolfer

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is exactly what I had hoped it would be. It is primarily a practical car with enough flair to make it fun and pleasurable to own and drive. The GT version handles well enough to have some sporting fun while the all-wheel drive allows you to drive relatively aggressively in the snow and ice. It is essentially a 12 month, 4-season GT car.

Favorite Features

The all-wheel drive feature allows me to tool around briskly in foul weather. The GT package make handling on good roads really quite sufficient, I'm rarely able to make my tires squeal as I throw the car around curves. At the same time it's a good quiet touring car.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is somewhat boring although practical. However I'm glad that Subaru didn't try to make it luxurious. "Luxury/performance" vehicle is an oxy-moron to me. The only other improvement I'd like to see is in the sound system. The sound from the radio and speakers seems cheap to me.

Love the Legacy
By bunsbuggy

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in November of 2001, I love the car. It is great driving in snow or ice, all four wheels keep you going straight as an arrow. The AWD feels cool around corners too, you can feel the weight shift and the gripping tires rail you around the corner, it's awesome. Fuel economy disappoints at 21 in city, 24 on highway. I have the manual tranny, its fun to use. The back window defroster is weak, takes forever to defrost. Otherwise, solid manufacturing, should last 200,000 miles i hope.

Favorite Features

The AWD system is incredible. Peppy engine, reliable car.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to get 25 to 30 in gas mileage. Put wiper on back window since defroster is weak. The sponge circles in the drink holders allow dirt and crumbs to get caught down there.