Used 2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Be cautious if buying used
By bm16v

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle used and it has not been a great experience. Overall, the car is ok but if you are in the market for this model, go above and beyond to see if the vehicle has any oil consumption issues. My car eats oil like crazy and after researching "oil consumption subaru" I have learned I am not alone. I've switched to a thicker oil and have just learned to live with the issue. I have had several VW's and now appreciate what I had with the VR6 engine. Looking forward to seeing how this thing does in the snow, but I really don't like driving this car. Subarus can be good, but this thing is getting sold in the spring.

All Wheel Drive and 4 cylinder combination in a sedan.

Can't part with it.
By ctgal

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my subie because I needed a reliable car to get me back and forth to work every day in the NW CT hills. Through snow, ice, torrential rains, you name it. 120 miles a day. This car never failed me and was fun to drive! Finally, at 150,000 miles and 3 trips from East Coast to West Coast, it needed a new head gasket. There is no rust on this car and the finish looks as good as the day I bought it. There is a little wind noise from the driver's side window but I never felt noise was a problem. Now, with 175,000 miles, the car lives in sunny CA where I hope to put another 75K on it driving back and forth to the Sierra Nevada. Still has the pep of a youngster.

AWD, handling in snow and rain, looks, ride, power features.

None.

Clutch issues
By krussell

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace the clutch in 2008 and now am told I need another clutch! Quoted price is $1000 this seems ridiculous to me. HELP!

I will never buy another Subaru
By trs1997

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan Automatic used (36k). Since then, I have had every service performed, including oil changed every 3500 miles. At 92k miles I had to replace the head gaskets (both sides) $1800. At 120k miles the moon roof computer went out (probably used 3 times a year $500) At 126k miles it spun the #3 Rod Bearing and damaged the Crankshaft. ($4300) - the dealer stocks the short block which tells me they are having LOTS of problems with this motor. This car has never been neglected or abused and always had factory parts as replacement. I am very disappointed in this purchase and now I have no car because it's motor blew and it's at the repair shop with no money to fix it

Sound System - Wheels - Cruise control - overall exterior look of car

The wind noise is terrible! Blowing head gaskets at 92k - fix it! Blowing a motor with impeccable maintenance records - big problem!

Piece of junk, NEVER again
By Mike Kelly

2002 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car seemed like a good purchase when my wife and I moved to a hilly location in NW NY. After putting on $600 snows it was only ok in the snow. Soon after, the car began excessively smoking and subaru of north america was absolutely no help at all. Apparently this is normal in these piece of garbage cars. Now with 120k on the car we have had problems with almost everything- right down to the clear coat starting to peel. I have had many subarus and they all had their problems but nothing near this. Never ever again will I go anywhere near this company and I have absolutely nothing good to say about them. It is unfortunate because I truly believed they produced a good product.

Looks.

Don't shun your customers when there is an obvious problem.