Used 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Reliable all-weather performer
By ttran

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine at the tail end of winter in MN. Wish I bought it earlier! This thing plows snow like a champ, especially with the Blizzaks. Truly a vehicle of choice in the winter. Now that it's summer time I'm starting to notice the noise. I don't get any wind noise but the engine and road noise is definitely noticeable. I'm hoping my next set of tires will solve the road noise but I'm not sure what to do about the engine noise. Very buzzy. Handles well but could use more power. I give this a 10 during the winter and a 6.5 for the summer.

AWD rocks. Winter package is great. No mechanical issues.

Turbo charger and a couple more inches of leg room would be nice.

We hate this car! Bring back the '94!
By Dannaca

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had owned a 94 and loved it. The only thing the 02 has in common with the 94 is the name! It has horrible wind noise, uncomfortable front seats, cramped back seats, bad steering components. I have had more work done to this car than I ever needed in the 94 and it needs more work even now. Also there is no power in the vehicle at all. It is as slow as the Prizm I owned before it but at least I expected that from the Prizm!

AWD, sound system, cruise control (Prizm didn't have that).

Whatever they used to do worked, maybe they are trying to go cheaper, but the new Subaru is a piece of junk. A front seat that didn't make your leg go to sleep after 30 miles would be great, some power wouldn't be a bad thing either, and the ability to turn the wheel! Just little things like that.

Fun to drive around mountains roads.
By Glenn

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 170000 on it. It's still very tight and smooth. It's great in the snow (under 8") with new tires on. I've always had problems with the brakes (front calipers) and of course the wind noise. The check engine light has been on for a long time. New Catalytic converter cost over $1500). All my driving is highway but I haven't done the timing belt yet. I'll do it soon. The dealer was able to correct 50% of the wind noise. The rear defroster isn't very strong compared to other cars. I drive over 1000 miles every week. It only gets 25- 27MPG (due to the AWD and the weight of the car.

Cold weather package (heated mirrors, seats, windshield), handling, sunroof

More reliable breaks, better rear defrost, better stereo, correct wind noise. More power.

Subaru Legacy
By eoj88

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First few years of ownership the car performed as desired. However in the third year of ownership road noise became louder. Car has started to rust in the rear door jams at the seams. The rear quarter panel has developed large rust areas. These days I would expect a car to last more than 5 years before rusting out.

develop a car that will not rust in 5 years.

Great car to drive
By Gary

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has been very reliable, and the service records (I bought used) show no problems. Acceleration very good for a normally-aspirated H-4 engine and a 3400 lb car. Drove the H-6, but honestly did not think its acceleration and torque were that much better. AWD excellent, handling very good, and no problems with brakes. Interior is nice, but I have leather. Tune-ups are fairly easy. Re: other reviews: V6? Don't expect in Subarus because they use boxer engines. Upgrade interior? A $25K car will never have the tactile feel of a $40K car. There is some wind noise, seats could have more adjustment, but, again, IT'S A $25k CAR. As a package, hard to knock. Most auto reviewers like the Legacy GT.

Side airbags, AWD, overall styling, boxer engine.

What is the point? Look at the new 2005 model. Subaru addressed the short-comings: new interior, new exterior styling, turbocharged the 2.5 H-4 engine, sport-shift trans. If I have to suggest something, perhaps fold-down rear seats and a one-touch switch for the sunroof would be nice.