Used 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Best w/ a little help.
By Wreckreation

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new. Upgraded from '98 legacy. Added cold air intake, computer mod and short throw shifter. Short throw shifter best addition yet. Intake and computer brought HP to 200! Great power in 25k-55k RPM. Superior in blizzard conditions with 4pp, Snowbaords and gear. Almost 100k w/ no issues. 26mpg in city driving, now in FL and AC is cold as ice, and it turns heads. Black ACR rims w/ chrome strip, adds wonderful cornering capabilities.

Favorite Features

Dual Sunroofs, row-your-own transmission. Rare vehicle, plenty of space in trunk, great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better door trim rain gutters. More stock power.

Great car
By Vic S

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have really enjoyed having and driving this vehicle especially in snowy and icy weather. It is comfortable, handles extremely well and corners like it was on rails. The heater warms up quickly in cold weather adding to the enjoyment of this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The AWD drive which makes for great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Add a CD player

Wagon Love
By Uncle Jay

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The motor went bad at 24000 miles. It was a manufacturing flaw. AWD is very nice. I have a manual and like to shift but I wish the center differential was an intelligent one like on the automatics.

Favorite Features

The car drives and handles very nice. It feels solid inside, outside and when you drive it.

Suggested Improvements

More power. Not tons, just about another 50-60. I also thought I would get a little better fuel economy, but the car is heavy.

Could have been great, but...
By Dr. Alif Terranson

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The performance of the 4 wheezing mice just doesn't cut it. I actually thought the car had a problem, and brought it in for service - the service manager stated that this was "just the way it is with the newer Subarus, because of the emissions control requirements". This is, of course, pure BS, as I have an even newer car (from another manufacturer) that meets emissions without this performance hit. The performance is *so* bad that I was going to upgrade to the 6cyl, unfortunately, a drive in that confirmed that this is a design issue, and not an engine size problem.

Favorite Features

This car is fun to drive, and has great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The cheap plastics need to go: the car isn't even three, and half the plastic things in the care have either broken, cracked, or "depressed" (weird kind of sinking down effect - I've never seen this in my other Subarus). I think they just botched the 2002s.

Ain't None Better, for the money
By rcpowell

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I started with a '98 GT, graduated to a '02. I miss the hood scoop and the color white, but other than that, I like the car very much. The wife puts too many miles on it, but it goes and goes and still goes some more. The kids love it, the pep, the handling, etc. That took me some what by surprise, because it is a wagon. We are just another happy family with a Subaru to get around in.

Favorite Features

comfort, safety, and style.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the hood scoop, and the color white.