2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Subarus are over rated
By mr.z on 01/09/09 20:17 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was very excited when I ordered my Subaru. That all ended after two weeks of ownership thats when the steering started going in and out. I never had a road noise issues it was the wind blowing through the window that never closed proper after two years that I had issue with. That was fixed four times it never lasted more than two weeks. At three years old the car started rusting (body and brake lines), the ABS was no longer working at this point. Maybe I expect to much when I pay $27k car. Last thing I had flat once and the jack broke. I sold this car with over 59k on it.

Worst car I ever owned
By thebaaron on 09/19/07 21:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up this car with 30k miles in great shape and right away started having problems with window seals, moon roof seal, O2 sensors, head lights, check engine light, heat shield, clutch, electrical bugs, you name it, I've fixed it, until finally with 70k miles on the odometer, the engine jumped time and bent all the valves costing me $3500. No aftermarket support either, because no one wants anything to do with this lemon. I can't say that I blame them. I can't wait to be rid of this heap.

quality declines in late model Subarus
By ssa on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Less than 26000 miles and have had major brake job (all 4 wheels), new clutch, repeated problems with wind noise and 'check engine' light coming on. Basically a big dissapointment compared to the many Subaru's I've owned in the past.

No Nonsense Performance & Practicality
By jcgolfer on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is exactly what I had hoped it would be. It is primarily a practical car with enough flair to make it fun and pleasurable to own and drive. The GT version handles well enough to have some sporting fun while the all-wheel drive allows you to drive relatively aggressively in the snow and ice. It is essentially a 12 month, 4-season GT car.

Love the Legacy
By bunsbuggy on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in November of 2001, I love the car. It is great driving in snow or ice, all four wheels keep you going straight as an arrow. The AWD feels cool around corners too, you can feel the weight shift and the gripping tires rail you around the corner, it's awesome. Fuel economy disappoints at 21 in city, 24 on highway. I have the manual tranny, its fun to use. The back window defroster is weak, takes forever to defrost. Otherwise, solid manufacturing, should last 200,000 miles i hope.

Reliable car
By Asanth on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a one of the reliable car like Honda,Toyota,Nissan

Very Happy w/ My GT!
By GT-Happy on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Too my surprise, not only was the '01 Legacy GT a more attractive car on the outside (compared to the '99), but the interior was redesigned. A very important selling point since the '99 generation had a cup holder that covered the stereo. I love this car; it handles well (GT) in all conditions and is very comfortable. The interior is laid out very well and all instruments are easy to identify and operate. I highly recommend checking out the Legacy GT if you are into the high teens/low twenties price range. To Subaru: Upgrade the occansional cheap plastic and offer a V6 engine! If you do, you can compete better w/ VW and Audi.

This car is awesome
By Joseph Piel on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great handling very fun to drive in bad and in good weather