2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Reliable all-weather performer
By ttran on 06/06/09 15:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine at the tail end of winter in MN. Wish I bought it earlier! This thing plows snow like a champ, especially with the Blizzaks. Truly a vehicle of choice in the winter. Now that it's summer time I'm starting to notice the noise. I don't get any wind noise but the engine and road noise is definitely noticeable. I'm hoping my next set of tires will solve the road noise but I'm not sure what to do about the engine noise. Very buzzy. Handles well but could use more power. I give this a 10 during the winter and a 6.5 for the summer.

We hate this car! Bring back the '94!
By Dannaca on 12/28/08 17:21 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I had owned a 94 and loved it. The only thing the 02 has in common with the 94 is the name! It has horrible wind noise, uncomfortable front seats, cramped back seats, bad steering components. I have had more work done to this car than I ever needed in the 94 and it needs more work even now. Also there is no power in the vehicle at all. It is as slow as the Prizm I owned before it but at least I expected that from the Prizm!

Fun to drive around mountains roads.
By Glenn on 07/20/08 18:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has over 170000 on it. It's still very tight and smooth. It's great in the snow (under 8") with new tires on. I've always had problems with the brakes (front calipers) and of course the wind noise. The check engine light has been on for a long time. New Catalytic converter cost over $1500). All my driving is highway but I haven't done the timing belt yet. I'll do it soon. The dealer was able to correct 50% of the wind noise. The rear defroster isn't very strong compared to other cars. I drive over 1000 miles every week. It only gets 25- 27MPG (due to the AWD and the weight of the car.

Subaru Legacy
By eoj88 on 03/18/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First few years of ownership the car performed as desired. However in the third year of ownership road noise became louder. Car has started to rust in the rear door jams at the seams. The rear quarter panel has developed large rust areas. These days I would expect a car to last more than 5 years before rusting out.

Great car to drive
By Gary on 01/27/05 13:43 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My car has been very reliable, and the service records (I bought used) show no problems. Acceleration very good for a normally-aspirated H-4 engine and a 3400 lb car. Drove the H-6, but honestly did not think its acceleration and torque were that much better. AWD excellent, handling very good, and no problems with brakes. Interior is nice, but I have leather. Tune-ups are fairly easy. Re: other reviews: V6? Don't expect in Subarus because they use boxer engines. Upgrade interior? A $25K car will never have the tactile feel of a $40K car. There is some wind noise, seats could have more adjustment, but, again, IT'S A $25k CAR. As a package, hard to knock. Most auto reviewers like the Legacy GT.

Subaru Legacy GT LTD Experience
By shersr on 12/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We are long distance drivers (40,000+ miles per year) and demand a lot from our vehicles. The Subaru Legacy GT LTD has offers a nice ride, but suffers from reliability problems. We had a re-occurring brake problem with freezing rear calipers (frozen open, that is). We replaced the wiring harness and spark plugs at 50,000 miles due to shorting in the coil. The catalytic converter needs replacement at 90,000 miles. We also had to have the trim around the driver side window re-glued. National Subaru customer reps are not helpful and rude. Next time we buy a Honda.

Less Than Expected
By SjS on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Seems to be issues with the front brakes, and the windows in front doors leak air. (BAD) Dealer doesn't seem to be able to correct this.

Subaru get an A
By 2002 Subaru on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Very reliable. Excellent in snow and rain. Stops on a dime.

Great car for the price
By Fryguy on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently purchased my Subaru Legacy GT Limited and love it. It rides great and handles just as well. I was looking at similiar models from Audi, BMW, and VW but they do not come close for the price.

Nice car
By Syms on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive and modify.. Nicer interior quality than previous model.