Used 2002 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

she gave us 130K trouble-free miles
By kat2015

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Legacy Wagon brand new in 2001. We have put almost 135K miles on her, and now she's burning/leaking about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Mechanic tells us she has a cracked head gasket and unlike older Subarus, where you could simply put a new engine in the thing for about $1500, these models don't work like that and will require repair for about $2000. So we are shopping for a new car. Most likely another (our 3rd) Subaru, as we are addicted to AWD in the unpredictable northwest winters.

Favorite Features

AWD, Pep (she gets me up and over 2 mountain passes with ease regularly), reliability (we have had no troubles, until now). Great family car. Great for people with dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage will be nice in the newer models.

Be cautious if buying used
By bm16v

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this vehicle used and it has not been a great experience. Overall, the car is ok but if you are in the market for this model, go above and beyond to see if the vehicle has any oil consumption issues. My car eats oil like crazy and after researching "oil consumption subaru" I have learned I am not alone. I've switched to a thicker oil and have just learned to live with the issue. I have had several VW's and now appreciate what I had with the VR6 engine. Looking forward to seeing how this thing does in the snow, but I really don't like driving this car. Subarus can be good, but this thing is getting sold in the spring.

Favorite Features

All Wheel Drive and 4 cylinder combination in a sedan.

Can't part with it.
By ctgal

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my subie because I needed a reliable car to get me back and forth to work every day in the NW CT hills. Through snow, ice, torrential rains, you name it. 120 miles a day. This car never failed me and was fun to drive! Finally, at 150,000 miles and 3 trips from East Coast to West Coast, it needed a new head gasket. There is no rust on this car and the finish looks as good as the day I bought it. There is a little wind noise from the driver's side window but I never felt noise was a problem. Now, with 175,000 miles, the car lives in sunny CA where I hope to put another 75K on it driving back and forth to the Sierra Nevada. Still has the pep of a youngster.

Favorite Features

AWD, handling in snow and rain, looks, ride, power features.

Suggested Improvements

None.

My Second Subaru
By Sirstinky

2002 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this with 69k miles and so far I put a little over 1000 on it. My 1991 has 190,000 miles on it and still runs good so I got another one. So far so good. This is a very good-looking wagon. I love the awd. Good brakes and handling. It's not too loud inside (there's the common Subaru wind noise) and the ride is smooth. So far no head gasket issues, but the engine has a noisy lifter now when cold and the transmission could be better. Jerky shifts when cold, and it upshifts/downshifts slowly when you need it to. The interior looks good and is solidly-built. Not many squeaks or rattles for 70K miles. Gas mileage bad in city driving 19-21 mpg.

Favorite Features

AWD Good brakes and handling Looks great Center-console cup holders Cheaper than European AWD wagons Solidly-built 2 sunroofs Lots of room in back

Suggested Improvements

Questionable reliability Noisy lifter when cold Re-design transmission More HP Quieter drivetrain Get rid of pillar-less door frames for less wind noise

Clutch issues
By krussell

2002 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had to replace the clutch in 2008 and now am told I need another clutch! Quoted price is $1000 this seems ridiculous to me. HELP!