Used 2001 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love It!
By Nick

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm really happy with my 2001 Subaru Legacy L. I've had it for 2 1/2 years and so far (knock on wood) no problems. I'm bringing it in for the 90,000 tune up, so we'll see how it does. I love the way it handles, it really sticks to the road. Gets great gas mileage on long trips across the country. I've had to replace the anti-knock sensor after the check engine light came on. About a $300 job. The Subaru service department is a lot more friendlier and efficient than in the past.

Favorite Features

Good speakers, handling, electronics.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration is a little slow, but I guess that's what you get with a 4 cylinder.

Great Car
By mmb132

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan in October 2004. I used a 2001 Camry as a trade in and I have NO regrets. This car is spectacular! In winter I feel like I'm driving a tank; the AWD is great. On dry pavement it's like driving a sports car. Anyone who gets into the car is very impressed with the leather interior, the stereo, the roominess of the back seat and the comfortable ride. My only gripe I would say is the gas mileage but, maybe that's because of the AWD? I'm not really sure. Besides that this a great car.

Favorite Features

The AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

Economical, Practical & Fun Family Car
By dadof3

2001 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Our Subaru has over 30k miles and stillloving it. We were debating between thewagon or a minivan to haul our 3 kids. We also looked at the Passat wagon.The Passat rode smoother, but the price was way too high for comparable features. We are very satisfied withour choice- great price for what youget, decent gas mileage (compared to theminivan anyway), and enough room for the kids and their stuff- can fit threechild seats across the back row. Recommend a car top carrier for longertrips. Pros: Reliable, safe, fun to drive, andthe awd can't be beat for winter driving(live in WI)Cons: Interior quality could beimproved, gas mileage seems low for a vehicle its size, needs more pep.

great first 'adult' car
By mufasa1023

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 60,000 miles from a graduating med student and so got an amazing price. It's a great car and a nice change from my old ford ranger. AWD is amazing the engine is peppy unless the a/c is on then in drags a bit and has to be punched up a bit to accelerate. Has no glaring problems. Windshield does whistle a bit with crosswinds and it has a strange rattle noise during low end acceleration sometimes but still runs perfectly. It corners like it's on rails .

Favorite Features

The AWD and low center of gravity make for fun driving Next time i'll probably opt for the 227 or 250 hp version b/c the 165 is a bit slow when beating someone off the line. 22-28 mpg with an automatic AWD car? beats the snot out of a 14 mpg 2WD ranger that cornered like a bathtub.

Suggested Improvements

There are many options available including the cd player and moonroof and foglights etc. So i guess the windshield noise and cheaper turbo chargers.

Great winter car, has some quirks
By ajc1961

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for winter driving in NJ and it was FANTASTIC considering the brutal winters for 2002-4. Some quirks I've noticed are the occasional burning smell coming from the vents after bad weather driving (probably an AWD thing) and a whistling windshield in high crosswinds when all windows are rolled up. Neither of these can be addressed by the dealer, of course. Through various internet user groups, it seems these are common Subaru quirks and although annoying, are mostly sporatic and shouldn't deter anyone from buying this car.

Favorite Features

AWD is amazing, plain and simple. The car is roomy, I'm 6'4" tall and have pleanty of head room.

Suggested Improvements

the burning smell seems to be a common Subaru complaint, I'd like to see that addressed. I would like to see a full folding rear seat. A section of the rear seat folds down for skis, but not the entire seat, makes it difficult to move large objects.