Used 2001 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

love it
By carrotts

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love this car, did all the usual things before-car for 2/3yrs then changed for a new one, had this one from 2005, had a new engine at 80.000miles, (did,nt know about the head gasket), and now at 149.000miles, costs a fortune in fuel, lots of niggles that need addressing regularly but drive this or another tin box give me scoobie every day, I have the comfort pack and would sit comfortable in this car all day.

Engine/comfort and all the toys.

lose the middle rear headrest.

My little unstoppable AWD tank…
By travelking

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I’ve ever had. While this car only has decent gas mileage, due mostly to the AWD, the reliability and performance of this car is unparalleled. I bought this car new and drove it to 267,000 miles. The problems I had with it were minor. I’ve gone through a couple of alternators, batteries, and clutches; but this is to be expected. At about 230,000 miles I had to replace the sychros in the manual transmission. At around 250,000 miles I developed a radiator leak which was fixed with a bottle of radiator sealant. The car was finally done by a broken timing belt. If I had replaced the timing belt when my mechanic advised, the little Subaru would still be on the road.

The AWD makes this car perfect for outdoor enthusiast. This is also a very easy car to work on. The seats fold down flat making plenty of room for cargo, sleeping, dogs, etc...

Great little rig
By subipharm

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great wagon for me so far. I bought it with 145,000 miles on it few months back. It had all scheduled maintenance records and had the head gaskets replaced so it has been running like a champ. -The engine has ample power with the 5 speed, it can zip around town just fine and get up to speed quickly on highways. The car cruises nicely at 70mph. Plenty of head room and leg room for driver and passengers. Overall this car is a great value, reliable, handles great in rain/snow with AWD, and styling still looks good 10 years later! I would highly recommend this vehicle as family car or vehicl for outdoors people.

-AWD, handles great and I feel very safe driving it -5-speed makes this car zippy and still do pretty good on gas, the automatics seem sluggish to me and are expensive to work on if anything goes wrong -Roomy cabin, I am 6'2" and still have plenty of leg and head room -Tires are much cheaper than SUVs -Gas mileage for being AWD is great -Lots of cargo space for camping trips Overall this is a great car for the money. It will get you almost anywhere you want to go safely.

-The front doors seem to allow wind/road noise, would be nice to see higher quality sound proofing in the doors. -I would give up a little gas mileage for some more horsepower

Don't buy a Subaru
By IW

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new in 2000, performed all dealer service as scheduled, have had numerous problems with head gasket, transfer seal, and cam seal oil leaks. I bought the car expecting to get 200,000+ miles out of it, and started having oil leaks at 45,000 miles. Dealer has tried to repair numerous times, with no success. Every Subaru owner with whom I speak says the head gaskets are a known issue. I would never buy a Subaru again, and am looking to ditch this one as soon as possible, taking a huge loss in depreciation.

None.

Reliability, Head gaskets, Transfer seals, Cruise control bushings, etc.

Waited too Long
By Outback Wagon LTD

2001 Subaru Legacy Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My Outback is the first ever Japanese car I've ever owned. Unbelievable quality and style. I always said that if you buy a minivan that your life is over. My son was the one who researched the car and he wound up buying a mini van. I bought the Outback. I can't wait till next year to get the Turbo.

Leather interior, dashboard, engine compartment, sound system. Two CD players, one single and one 6 player. Handling perfect. The only thing I found wrong that the armrest in the center isn't long enough.

Some all black, red or other misc. solid colors.