2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
great first 'adult' car
By mufasa1023 on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 60,000 miles from a graduating med student and so got an amazing price. It's a great car and a nice change from my old ford ranger. AWD is amazing the engine is peppy unless the a/c is on then in drags a bit and has to be punched up a bit to accelerate. Has no glaring problems. Windshield does whistle a bit with crosswinds and it has a strange rattle noise during low end acceleration sometimes but still runs perfectly. It corners like it's on rails .

Great winter car, has some quirks
By ajc1961 on 05/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for winter driving in NJ and it was FANTASTIC considering the brutal winters for 2002-4. Some quirks I've noticed are the occasional burning smell coming from the vents after bad weather driving (probably an AWD thing) and a whistling windshield in high crosswinds when all windows are rolled up. Neither of these can be addressed by the dealer, of course. Through various internet user groups, it seems these are common Subaru quirks and although annoying, are mostly sporatic and shouldn't deter anyone from buying this car.

Best buy for money
By cd-in-pa on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While I've only had the Legacy for a short time (will review in another year after another 20k miles) it is one of the best cars for the money. I bought mine used for a very fair price. I compared the Legacy with the Accord, Camry and Altima and found that price alone was one of the best features. Performance in the Legacy surpased all the above cars. Interior and exterior design are simple but very appealing. Solid value.

Great for the Northwest roads!
By greatnorthwest on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and all I can say is "WOW"! Since my vehicle was purchased in September I have grown to love it more. It handles excellent in the Northwest rain and snow. It has a peppy 165 HP motor, not bad for a 4 cylinder! I would highly recommend getting the auto-dimming/compass mirror. I bought one after the fact, installed it myself (piece of cake) and no more rearview mirror glare from trucks.

Fun to drive
By Michael Bardsley on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When i was introduced to the car, the salesman took me to an offroad test area, and put the car through its paces. I was shocked at how well the car drove. Since we purchase this in Alaska, we moved back to the lower 48 in mid-winter, with the subaru (L Sedan) pulling a 3,000 Ib trailer down the Alcan Highway. It performed great. Since then we have even had to use it to pull a stuck ford focus out of the sand at the beach before the ocean ate it for lunch. My only complaint would be the tight fit for a tall person driving.

It's not all that it's cracked up to be
By Marnie Gonzalez on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Subaru Legacy for 10 months and in the last 2 it has had to be in the shop 3 times for various reasons. I have been severely disappointed in it's performance. I owned a Subaru in the past and had virtually no problems, this time around I can't say the same thing. I will not be buying another Subaru in the past.