Used 2001 Subaru Legacy L Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

great first 'adult' car
By mufasa1023

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 60,000 miles from a graduating med student and so got an amazing price. It's a great car and a nice change from my old ford ranger. AWD is amazing the engine is peppy unless the a/c is on then in drags a bit and has to be punched up a bit to accelerate. Has no glaring problems. Windshield does whistle a bit with crosswinds and it has a strange rattle noise during low end acceleration sometimes but still runs perfectly. It corners like it's on rails .

Favorite Features

The AWD and low center of gravity make for fun driving Next time i'll probably opt for the 227 or 250 hp version b/c the 165 is a bit slow when beating someone off the line. 22-28 mpg with an automatic AWD car? beats the snot out of a 14 mpg 2WD ranger that cornered like a bathtub.

Suggested Improvements

There are many options available including the cd player and moonroof and foglights etc. So i guess the windshield noise and cheaper turbo chargers.

Great winter car, has some quirks
By ajc1961

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car for winter driving in NJ and it was FANTASTIC considering the brutal winters for 2002-4. Some quirks I've noticed are the occasional burning smell coming from the vents after bad weather driving (probably an AWD thing) and a whistling windshield in high crosswinds when all windows are rolled up. Neither of these can be addressed by the dealer, of course. Through various internet user groups, it seems these are common Subaru quirks and although annoying, are mostly sporatic and shouldn't deter anyone from buying this car.

Favorite Features

AWD is amazing, plain and simple. The car is roomy, I'm 6'4" tall and have pleanty of head room.

Suggested Improvements

the burning smell seems to be a common Subaru complaint, I'd like to see that addressed. I would like to see a full folding rear seat. A section of the rear seat folds down for skis, but not the entire seat, makes it difficult to move large objects.

Best buy for money
By cd-in-pa

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

While I've only had the Legacy for a short time (will review in another year after another 20k miles) it is one of the best cars for the money. I bought mine used for a very fair price. I compared the Legacy with the Accord, Camry and Altima and found that price alone was one of the best features. Performance in the Legacy surpased all the above cars. Interior and exterior design are simple but very appealing. Solid value.

Favorite Features

AWD gives this car it's great handling. I like the shift lock auto, nice if you can't get the manual. Ice cold AC is a plus.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a cruise indicator. Suprised an 01 didn't have a CD player. Otherwise not much to change.

Great for the Northwest roads!
By greatnorthwest

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Subaru and all I can say is "WOW"! Since my vehicle was purchased in September I have grown to love it more. It handles excellent in the Northwest rain and snow. It has a peppy 165 HP motor, not bad for a 4 cylinder! I would highly recommend getting the auto-dimming/compass mirror. I bought one after the fact, installed it myself (piece of cake) and no more rearview mirror glare from trucks.

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive Traction!

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, for the amount of horses and considering it's all wheel drive, it's not too bad on gas, but 30-35 MPG would be nice too. :-)

Fun to drive
By Michael Bardsley

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When i was introduced to the car, the salesman took me to an offroad test area, and put the car through its paces. I was shocked at how well the car drove. Since we purchase this in Alaska, we moved back to the lower 48 in mid-winter, with the subaru (L Sedan) pulling a 3,000 Ib trailer down the Alcan Highway. It performed great. Since then we have even had to use it to pull a stuck ford focus out of the sand at the beach before the ocean ate it for lunch. My only complaint would be the tight fit for a tall person driving.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, AWD system.

Suggested Improvements

Increase leg room for driver, even 2" would be great