Used 2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Don't even think of it!
By tomday

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Even if the head gaskets have been done you will be doing them again between 35-40K miles. Bottom line If you own a SUbrau it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll be doing head gaskets to a tune of $2K to $4K. Don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you one. Years affected. 1998 - 2012 2.5L engines. Yes, up to 2012! If yo have one think about selling it.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive but just don't trust it.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru just needs to step up to the plate and drop their current engine design. Start over!

Engine Failure at 106K miles
By no more Subarus 4me

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Legacy GT Ltd with 48K miles on it. At about 60K miles the engine started making a noise that we were told was piston slap. Oil was changed frequently as directed, plus I started adding Lucas engine treatment which helped quiet the noise. At about 95K miles we had to replace the head gaskets which had started leaking. At 106K miles something major "let go" inside the motor and it is no longer driveable. I loved everything about the car...except the motor which, apparently is not put together well. We are going put in a different engine, sell the car, and buy a Honda.

Favorite Features

The car handled very well in all weather conditions. Even during Maine winter weather, the car handled great, exceeding our expectations. In addition it had a sporty feel to it which made it fun to drive all the time.

Suggested Improvements

The motor should be redesigned for improved reliability and increased gas mileage.

On Subaru 10...and FINAL
By Disgruntled

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 9 other Subaru's. Each Subaru had over 200000 miles on them and ran incredibly well. I now own a 2001 Legacy GT Limited and have had nothing but problems since day one. The first month I had the vehicle, I had lost my brakes. The pedal wouldn't even move at all. This happened twice. Dealer "fixed" the problem each time. Since then I've blown my engine because the head gaskets. There are SO MANY other issues I've had since purchasing this vehicle. I hope this helps anyone looking at one. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER SUBARU AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!

Favorite Features

Easy resale now that I have a new engine.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to the older engines, tranny's and transfer cases. These cars used to last 200,000 miles, but couldn't keep the body in tact. Now, you're lucky if you get 75,000 miles without serious mechanical issues. Hey, at least the body finally stays in tact. Want to put a Toyota drive train in now.

Used to love it, now I hate it.
By dhall5

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both purchased our Subaru Legacy GTs brand new. My husband had consistent overheating problems, took the car to a number of Subaru dealers who could never diagnose the problem. Finally, in year 7, after nearly 60,000 miles, the engine block cracked. We replaced the engine. Now, my Subaru, after reaching just over 60,000 miles, my engine block cracked. My car NEVER had problems. We have spoken with Subaru who stated that because we took it to a mechanic other than Subaru (who never could diagnose the problem), they would not replace our engines. I will NEVER purchase another Subaru. We were consistent with oil changes, and other maintenance.

Favorite Features

AWD, overall design of car.

Suggested Improvements

After owning FOUR Subarus, better customer relations.

Great Car
By mmb132

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan in October 2004. I used a 2001 Camry as a trade in and I have NO regrets. This car is spectacular! In winter I feel like I'm driving a tank; the AWD is great. On dry pavement it's like driving a sports car. Anyone who gets into the car is very impressed with the leather interior, the stereo, the roominess of the back seat and the comfortable ride. My only gripe I would say is the gas mileage but, maybe that's because of the AWD? I'm not really sure. Besides that this a great car.

Favorite Features

The AWD.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.