Used 2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Don't even think of it!
By tomday

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Even if the head gaskets have been done you will be doing them again between 35-40K miles. Bottom line If you own a SUbrau it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll be doing head gaskets to a tune of $2K to $4K. Don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you one. Years affected. 1998 - 2012 2.5L engines. Yes, up to 2012! If yo have one think about selling it.

Favorite Features

It is fun to drive but just don't trust it.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru just needs to step up to the plate and drop their current engine design. Start over!

First and last subaru. Their junk
By bgtpeifer222

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my legacy just a few weeks ago. And talk about a big mistake. It has 180,000 miles on it and yes i know thats alot but the dealer clames they will run 280,000 easy. When i bought the car it had its normal subaru noises in it. And just today the rear of my transmission went out of it. No warning no nothing just a loud crack and then the rear of the trans binding. This car is JUNK. first and last one ill ever own.

Favorite Features

Somewhat fast. Sounds good with a little purr in the exhaust

Suggested Improvements

Build it better next time around. Or just dont buy one

Not The Best Car I've owned.
By caraddiction

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, I've owned about 11 cars in the past 6 years. I bought this car (Less than 6 mo ago) to have something paid off to save money and get better gas mileage than my 2010 Nissan Xterra. It has failed me. After buying it while driving home the head gaskets failed even after they had been replaced already,2k to fix. Then cat started malfunctioning 900 bucks, head lights burn out in 2 weeks 13 dollars per headlight, I don't touch the bulbs while installing either. Only has 130k on it. It was even owned by a mechanic. I don't know if it was from poor maintenance or Subaru. I've owned subaru in the past and this one has disappointed me tremendously. I am selling it asap.

Favorite Features

Great leather seats, Heated is always a nice touch. I love that when I leave the head lights turned on and open the door they automatically shut off no dead battery now. AWD is amazing as well.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru makes a decent car but I've heard they all have head gasket problems and Subaru refuses to acknowledge that. I, sad to say, will not own a Subaru again unless I can buy it brand new off the lot and not have to worry about the head gaskets for awhile.

Cars a Piece of Junk.
By 12816527

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had owned this car since 2001 and it was ok... Styling was decent, handling was good, but it always seemed to make a lot of ratteling noise which is apparently common on subarus. It needed to have the O2 sensor replaced and had other small mechanical defects. but overall it was a good car until yesterday. The engine locked up and died. the repair places said it would need a new engine, so much for Japanese cars being reliable. just avoid this car. its not great but does get good traction in the snow. And by the way it died with only 89,000 on it.

Subaricious!
By Kimberly

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After nearly 10 years, my Subaru Legacy is still running smoothly. Very reliable, comfortable, and great for the long haul. Subaru is a quality brand that lasts.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, fun to drive, very reliable. I feel safe driving my Subaru.

Suggested Improvements

Dealership maintenance is ridiculously expensive. Avoid their diagnostic scams whenever possible. Instead, I know I'm in good hands with a trusted local mechanic. My remote control lock quit. Dealer service wanted to charge over $150 to diagnose. Instead, I paid $3 three years ago - works great.