2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Don't even think of it!
By tomday on 01/07/14 17:33 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Even if the head gaskets have been done you will be doing them again between 35-40K miles. Bottom line If you own a SUbrau it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll be doing head gaskets to a tune of $2K to $4K. Don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you one. Years affected. 1998 - 2012 2.5L engines. Yes, up to 2012! If yo have one think about selling it.

First and last subaru. Their junk
By bgtpeifer222 on 10/24/11 18:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my legacy just a few weeks ago. And talk about a big mistake. It has 180,000 miles on it and yes i know thats alot but the dealer clames they will run 280,000 easy. When i bought the car it had its normal subaru noises in it. And just today the rear of my transmission went out of it. No warning no nothing just a loud crack and then the rear of the trans binding. This car is JUNK. first and last one ill ever own.

Not The Best Car I've owned.
By caraddiction on 10/15/11 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, I've owned about 11 cars in the past 6 years. I bought this car (Less than 6 mo ago) to have something paid off to save money and get better gas mileage than my 2010 Nissan Xterra. It has failed me. After buying it while driving home the head gaskets failed even after they had been replaced already,2k to fix. Then cat started malfunctioning 900 bucks, head lights burn out in 2 weeks 13 dollars per headlight, I don't touch the bulbs while installing either. Only has 130k on it. It was even owned by a mechanic. I don't know if it was from poor maintenance or Subaru. I've owned subaru in the past and this one has disappointed me tremendously. I am selling it asap.

Cars a Piece of Junk.
By 12816527 on 07/28/11 07:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had owned this car since 2001 and it was ok... Styling was decent, handling was good, but it always seemed to make a lot of ratteling noise which is apparently common on subarus. It needed to have the O2 sensor replaced and had other small mechanical defects. but overall it was a good car until yesterday. The engine locked up and died. the repair places said it would need a new engine, so much for Japanese cars being reliable. just avoid this car. its not great but does get good traction in the snow. And by the way it died with only 89,000 on it.

Subaricious!
By Kimberly on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After nearly 10 years, my Subaru Legacy is still running smoothly. Very reliable, comfortable, and great for the long haul. Subaru is a quality brand that lasts.

Excellent car
By Ronn on 07/17/10 17:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2002 with 11,000 miles. Now has 120,000. Has been very reliable. Replaced the clutch and viscous coupler at 110,000. Otherwise, just regular maintenance. Could use more power, but the 165 hp is adequate and gets decent gas mileage. Handles very well for a sedan. The AWD is great in rain.

Engine Failure at 106K miles
By no more Subarus 4me on 09/17/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Legacy GT Ltd with 48K miles on it. At about 60K miles the engine started making a noise that we were told was piston slap. Oil was changed frequently as directed, plus I started adding Lucas engine treatment which helped quiet the noise. At about 95K miles we had to replace the head gaskets which had started leaking. At 106K miles something major "let go" inside the motor and it is no longer driveable. I loved everything about the car...except the motor which, apparently is not put together well. We are going put in a different engine, sell the car, and buy a Honda.

On Subaru 10...and FINAL
By Disgruntled on 06/17/09 06:23 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned 9 other Subaru's. Each Subaru had over 200000 miles on them and ran incredibly well. I now own a 2001 Legacy GT Limited and have had nothing but problems since day one. The first month I had the vehicle, I had lost my brakes. The pedal wouldn't even move at all. This happened twice. Dealer "fixed" the problem each time. Since then I've blown my engine because the head gaskets. There are SO MANY other issues I've had since purchasing this vehicle. I hope this helps anyone looking at one. I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER SUBARU AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!

Used to love it, now I hate it.
By dhall5 on 10/20/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I both purchased our Subaru Legacy GTs brand new. My husband had consistent overheating problems, took the car to a number of Subaru dealers who could never diagnose the problem. Finally, in year 7, after nearly 60,000 miles, the engine block cracked. We replaced the engine. Now, my Subaru, after reaching just over 60,000 miles, my engine block cracked. My car NEVER had problems. We have spoken with Subaru who stated that because we took it to a mechanic other than Subaru (who never could diagnose the problem), they would not replace our engines. I will NEVER purchase another Subaru. We were consistent with oil changes, and other maintenance.

Great Car
By mmb132 on 07/28/05 00:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the 2001 Legacy GT Limited Sedan in October 2004. I used a 2001 Camry as a trade in and I have NO regrets. This car is spectacular! In winter I feel like I'm driving a tank; the AWD is great. On dry pavement it's like driving a sports car. Anyone who gets into the car is very impressed with the leather interior, the stereo, the roominess of the back seat and the comfortable ride. My only gripe I would say is the gas mileage but, maybe that's because of the AWD? I'm not really sure. Besides that this a great car.