2001 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
love it
By carrotts on 05/06/14 14:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love this car, did all the usual things before-car for 2/3yrs then changed for a new one, had this one from 2005, had a new engine at 80.000miles, (did,nt know about the head gasket), and now at 149.000miles, costs a fortune in fuel, lots of niggles that need addressing regularly but drive this or another tin box give me scoobie every day, I have the comfort pack and would sit comfortable in this car all day.

My little unstoppable AWD tank¬Ö
By travelking on 01/16/14 23:47 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I’ve ever had. While this car only has decent gas mileage, due mostly to the AWD, the reliability and performance of this car is unparalleled. I bought this car new and drove it to 267,000 miles. The problems I had with it were minor. I’ve gone through a couple of alternators, batteries, and clutches; but this is to be expected. At about 230,000 miles I had to replace the sychros in the manual transmission. At around 250,000 miles I developed a radiator leak which was fixed with a bottle of radiator sealant. The car was finally done by a broken timing belt. If I had replaced the timing belt when my mechanic advised, the little Subaru would still be on the road.

Don't even think of it!
By tomday on 01/07/14 17:33 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Even if the head gaskets have been done you will be doing them again between 35-40K miles. Bottom line If you own a SUbrau it's not a matter of "if" but "when" you'll be doing head gaskets to a tune of $2K to $4K. Don't be fooled by someone trying to sell you one. Years affected. 1998 - 2012 2.5L engines. Yes, up to 2012! If yo have one think about selling it.

First and last subaru. Their junk
By bgtpeifer222 on 10/24/11 18:42 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my legacy just a few weeks ago. And talk about a big mistake. It has 180,000 miles on it and yes i know thats alot but the dealer clames they will run 280,000 easy. When i bought the car it had its normal subaru noises in it. And just today the rear of my transmission went out of it. No warning no nothing just a loud crack and then the rear of the trans binding. This car is JUNK. first and last one ill ever own.

Not The Best Car I've owned.
By caraddiction on 10/15/11 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Ok, I've owned about 11 cars in the past 6 years. I bought this car (Less than 6 mo ago) to have something paid off to save money and get better gas mileage than my 2010 Nissan Xterra. It has failed me. After buying it while driving home the head gaskets failed even after they had been replaced already,2k to fix. Then cat started malfunctioning 900 bucks, head lights burn out in 2 weeks 13 dollars per headlight, I don't touch the bulbs while installing either. Only has 130k on it. It was even owned by a mechanic. I don't know if it was from poor maintenance or Subaru. I've owned subaru in the past and this one has disappointed me tremendously. I am selling it asap.

Cars a Piece of Junk.
By 12816527 on 07/28/11 07:28 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had owned this car since 2001 and it was ok... Styling was decent, handling was good, but it always seemed to make a lot of ratteling noise which is apparently common on subarus. It needed to have the O2 sensor replaced and had other small mechanical defects. but overall it was a good car until yesterday. The engine locked up and died. the repair places said it would need a new engine, so much for Japanese cars being reliable. just avoid this car. its not great but does get good traction in the snow. And by the way it died with only 89,000 on it.

Great little rig
By subipharm on 03/28/11 23:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great wagon for me so far. I bought it with 145,000 miles on it few months back. It had all scheduled maintenance records and had the head gaskets replaced so it has been running like a champ. -The engine has ample power with the 5 speed, it can zip around town just fine and get up to speed quickly on highways. The car cruises nicely at 70mph. Plenty of head room and leg room for driver and passengers. Overall this car is a great value, reliable, handles great in rain/snow with AWD, and styling still looks good 10 years later! I would highly recommend this vehicle as family car or vehicl for outdoors people.

Subaricious!
By Kimberly on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After nearly 10 years, my Subaru Legacy is still running smoothly. Very reliable, comfortable, and great for the long haul. Subaru is a quality brand that lasts.

Excellent car
By Ronn on 07/17/10 17:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 2002 with 11,000 miles. Now has 120,000. Has been very reliable. Replaced the clutch and viscous coupler at 110,000. Otherwise, just regular maintenance. Could use more power, but the 165 hp is adequate and gets decent gas mileage. Handles very well for a sedan. The AWD is great in rain.

Engine Failure at 106K miles
By no more Subarus 4me on 09/17/09 15:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Limited AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Legacy GT Ltd with 48K miles on it. At about 60K miles the engine started making a noise that we were told was piston slap. Oil was changed frequently as directed, plus I started adding Lucas engine treatment which helped quiet the noise. At about 95K miles we had to replace the head gaskets which had started leaking. At 106K miles something major "let go" inside the motor and it is no longer driveable. I loved everything about the car...except the motor which, apparently is not put together well. We are going put in a different engine, sell the car, and buy a Honda.