2000 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Fun to drive every day car

2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Brighton Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Fun to drive every day car
By Ryan on

2000 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

The GT Limited is my 1st Subaru. I bought it new over 5 years ago, and I do not intend to get rid of it until I can't fix it any more. Several minor repairs over last year and a half--nothing major yet, but clutch is coming soon (note that it has been autocrossed hard enough to win, although only a few times). The dealership told me that the clutch/flywheel assembly they use for replacements is not the same as what came new with the car, so don't rule out that it could happen on a daily driver. This car drives wonderfully for an every day car. It handles very well in all conditions, but it is not very powerful. If you do not drive manual, look at peppier cars (6-cylinder or 2.5T Legacy?).

Favorite Features

Fun car! AWD--I drove through snow higher than my bumper in all-season tires. 2000-2001 (maybe 2002) has best exterior styling of any Subaru I have ever seen. Rear spoiler on GT is a nice addition over L. Interior is very nice and comfortable, but seats won't hold you in place during hard cornering.

Suggested Improvements

OEM tires easily outperformed w/ all-seasons for $100-200 less (in dry, wet & snow--I prefer Dunlop SP5000). Stiffer rear sway bar recommended for better turn-in and agility. Flywheel too heavy for only slightly quick upshifts. Clutch not nearly as strong as grip, so it is easy to smoke on a launch.