2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Hope to NEVER own one ever again@
By lucymo on 06/28/12 16:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

at 6 years and 114K miles headgaskets failed despite the special sealant/conditioner that Subaru applied to the coolant. Had to replace them and the engine that warped due to overheating (the thermometer never showed signs of overheating). Then, the catalytic converter needed to be replaced, and a whole bunch of other expensive parts. For the money I spent on this car in the last 7 years I could have purchased a new car! The tranny is starting to go - won't shift into D (at 150K m). Since I already put so much money into it, I can't part with it, but it just keeps failing... Very unreliable. I do all scheduled maintenance on time. The only good thing about it is the wagon size - gigantic

very pleased
By kc66 on 10/20/11 18:08 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

bought this car over 2 years ago with 120,000 miles on it and already put over 70,000 miles in that time. Have had to replace both front cv axles and tie rods, and 1 bearing. So far I've been able to do all the work myself so in material I have only put $250.00 in it. Its been a very hard working car. The AWD is amazing and the flat 4 is very peppy. I get 25 to 29 mpg and I have driven it from northern virginia to southern florida and back with not 1 problem. I hope the car runs another 100,000 and I would buy another.

Teen's first car
By kidchauffeur on 08/22/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this for our high school student to drive. We feel happy that she's in a relatively safe (but maneuverable) car, and she enjoys driving it. (We were looking for underpowered with ABS brakes -- AWD was a bonus -- much appreciated those nights when she drives on rain-slick roads.) It's nearly 10 years old, but does not look it. It probably isn't easy to make a teen smile with a 10- year-old car, but this one does. One note: SUPER IMPORTANT to get the engine treatments. This one had up-to- date engine treatments and Subaru USA was able to tell us when next is due.

172K Test Drive
By RobInIllinois on 05/26/09 20:13 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned a 94 Legacy that I loved and ran to 200 K miles. This has been a disappointment. The Tranny failed at about 70 K and is failing again. Every winter the engine smells like gas as the metal fuel rail contracts. The head gasket is seeping oil.

Worth every penny!
By WASTEWORLD on 07/12/06 00:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought 2 years ago with 120K miles (!); changed timing belt and alternator, burned later with upgraded 300W sound system. Both front CV Joints replaced after towing 2500lb trailer at 80MPH. Spark plugs and wires replaced, had a engine hesitation problem with old ones. Other than that runs and runs!

Just About Perfect!
By Dan on 04/20/05 18:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this used in Feb. 2004 with 37K on it. Totally solid, nice smooth ride. Fit & finish excellent. Have put 23K on it in a year, not a single problem (whoops - one burned out bulb).

I'm Happy with it, but...
By JRes on 02/17/05 15:39 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it has had its problems. I like the ride and the power is good although I agree that the engine runs too fast at higher speeds. This car could use a better gearing spread or a sixth gear. Here's the list of the car's problems: bad electrical harness, replaced under warranty; leaking sunroofs replaced under warranty 2 times, broken front swaybar, not under warranty; rear sunroof shade won't move in its track, not under warranty, and I have just started to notice a steering shimmy that does not bode well.

more go less show
By RJJ on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

The gearing makes the 165 hp legacy GT feel quick and responsive. It's definitely lower geared which makes it accelerate aggressively but also results in the engine running at higher RPM at speed, e.g. 3750 rpm @ 80 mph. It could use a 6 speed transmission. Even at that speed/rpm the interior is quiet and the ride is smooth. The car handles beautifully and easily outcorners everything else in its price range. Overall the car feels very sporty and is a fun vehicle to drive.

Disappointed
By Quite disappointed on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the looks and practicality of my Subaru Legacy wagon. However, I have already had to have the transmission replaced ($5,000 item at 49,000 miles), head gasgets, brakes, heat shield, the moon roof leaked into the interior light. Thank goodness it is has all been on warrenty, but I bought it thinking that it would be a work horse for many years. The dealer has worked hard to make me happy--but I really don't trust the car but don't want to incur another car payment now that this is just about paid off.

Seat changes
By gmlin on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall excellent car!!!! But driver seat low and unable to sit upright with legs down. Caused back problems. There isn't enough room to put pillow without hitting the steering wheel.