Used 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Legacy
By Legacy

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I am an average driver, and this car has been full of issues. First the check engine light kept coming on, and took it in about 4 times with no luck. (canít find a good Subaru dealer) After warranty was over a non Subaru mechanic found the threads to the knock sensor were striped, causing it to bounce around and get a false signal. Then at 35,000 miles the rear wheel bearing went out. There have been 2 recalls on it, a coolant additive was put in to help prevent issues with the bad head gasket design, and a rear suspension issues was the other. Now at 100,000 miles, the transmission is acting up. Should have bought a Chevy or a Ford, I never had issues like this with them.

Fun to drive

Quality and Reliability

Reliable Car - Fun to Drive
By RMAN

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned the car for more than 7 years. It drives the same way today as it did when I bought it. I had a few company recalls on the vehicle but no major problems. The car handles great in any condition. AWD really works well in snow. I have received many compliments onthe looks and styling.

All wheel drive; moon roof; exterior color.

A little more power (H6 was introduced a year after I bought my car). More powerful brakes.

Solid, Dependable, Fun to Drive
By Dave Crawford

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Purchased to replace 1996 Legacy GT Automatic. Loved the 5 speed feel and control. The SOHC 2.5 is more responsive and easier to maintain. We have done basically nothing to the car except maintain it in 112000 miles. The only weak area seems to be maintaining wheel alignment. We have had a ball with the car. Intend to keep it another 3 years at least.

a) 2.5 SOHC engine's torque and overall response. b)5 speed transmission's shift feel and perfect gear ratios. c)Handling d) Reliability

a) Tougher suspension requiring fewer wheel alignments. b) More front leg room for long distance comfort. c) Redesigned low-beam headlights. They are inexpensive and easy to replace but burn out anout once per year. Never the high beams.

2000 Subaru GT Sedan 5spd Manual
By WD Baseley

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Dummies put UGLY advertising plate on car despite SPECIFIC instructions not to! Otherwise nice, good service. GT worth extra $ to me because of sunroof, rear LSD, power extras, upgraded sound sys. Extra bonus is better accel. due to lower final drive ratio. Gas mileage is fine (22 to 28) and car is very relaxed cruising at speed. Confidence-inspiring handling, fun to toss around in the twisties, safe as a house, good pep but could stand another 20-30 hp. Orig. equip. tires so-so, better rubber makes big difference. Also winter tires if you see snow; they turned my car from "gets me home in any conditions" to "whoo-hoo it's snowing let's play!"

AWD, 50/50 center diff, steering, ride, reliability

Fix whatever caused the front rotors to warp twice in 50K miles, improve wind noise around outside mirrors, tighten up suspension control a bit, add 20 horsepower.

I wish it were different
By frowning

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I purchased this car with great anticipation. This car is extremely fun to drive, looks great, and is solid on the road. Everything was great until I hit 60,000. Just after the warranty expiration, I blew a head gasket. I thought it was odd for this to happen on such a new car, but forged ahead. Then, not even a year later, I lost the number 4 cylinder. I have 80,000 miles on the car and have two major engine repairs. I have spent $1000's in good faith maintenance over the years and fear the worst going forward. I really enjoyed the car, but, sadly, I will probably never buy another Subaru and cannot consciencely recommend this car to anyone.

The AWD is great. The look, feel and drive are fun and attractive.

Something should be looked at as to why the car trashes tires so quickly.