2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
I'm Happy with it, but...
By JRes on 02/17/05 15:39 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it has had its problems. I like the ride and the power is good although I agree that the engine runs too fast at higher speeds. This car could use a better gearing spread or a sixth gear. Here's the list of the car's problems: bad electrical harness, replaced under warranty; leaking sunroofs replaced under warranty 2 times, broken front swaybar, not under warranty; rear sunroof shade won't move in its track, not under warranty, and I have just started to notice a steering shimmy that does not bode well.

more go less show
By RJJ on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

The gearing makes the 165 hp legacy GT feel quick and responsive. It's definitely lower geared which makes it accelerate aggressively but also results in the engine running at higher RPM at speed, e.g. 3750 rpm @ 80 mph. It could use a 6 speed transmission. Even at that speed/rpm the interior is quiet and the ride is smooth. The car handles beautifully and easily outcorners everything else in its price range. Overall the car feels very sporty and is a fun vehicle to drive.

Disappointed
By Quite disappointed on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the looks and practicality of my Subaru Legacy wagon. However, I have already had to have the transmission replaced ($5,000 item at 49,000 miles), head gasgets, brakes, heat shield, the moon roof leaked into the interior light. Thank goodness it is has all been on warrenty, but I bought it thinking that it would be a work horse for many years. The dealer has worked hard to make me happy--but I really don't trust the car but don't want to incur another car payment now that this is just about paid off.

Very disaponted
By Dispointed on 09/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

If you are considering this vehicle be very wary of the stock Bridgestone Potenza tires and interior trim quality. My vehicle began suffering fron bubling and craks in the door trim and centre arm rest. Also fit and finish is well below standard for a vehicle of this price. Watch for problems with leaky sunroofs as well. I was told by the dealer that they are common due to dirt accumulating in a drain tube in the sunroof assemly. Fun to drive but not worth the money!

Great Car
By jakeylake on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a solid car, both inside and out. The exterior finish of car is outstanding, while the interior is above average. The simplicity of using the controls in the car suggests a well designed layout. The lumbar seat for the driver is wonderful for long trips. The AWD was one of the main selling points for this car. The AWD is rock solid, and cars like the VW passat, Audi A4 and Volvo charge $1000.00's when comparing with Legacy GT.

At this price - what else compares?
By wpoulos on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is able to haul loads of stuff, has AWD, looks agressive, handles well, and is overall a fun car to drive (especially with the 5 speed). At this price point, there is not much that even comes close if those things are important to you. Audi A4 avant, BMW 325ix wagon, etc... are more $$$.